13" rmbp vs 15" rmbp for lap use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rb98765, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Rb98765 macrumors newbie

Considering price and performance is not really a factor since i'll only be using them for web browsing, essays and watching movies, which one is better for me? I never use my laptops on a hard surface.. always on my lap. In my case would the 15" be too big and too heavy? Would the 13" be more comfortable to use for extended periods of time?

2. Marquito macrumors newbie

Without knowing the size of your lap this is difficult to answer.
    I suggest you take a ruler and measure the distance between your knees and report back to us with your findings.

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have the 15" and no issues using it for extended hours, even watching movies.

The 13" is def. lighter over the 15, but the 15" is a better buy. Of course, that's just IMHO.

You may also consider the 13" MBA for your intended uses, unless you want the Retina display.

5. Rb98765 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do want retina :)

6. pat park macrumors 6502a

Post of the year!

7. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I use my 15" rMBP on my lap at home constantly. I use the 13" when I'm out and about. I like the 15" best for lap use. The larger screen is easier on the eyes and the wider base is more stable across my legs. I think it would be fine on any set of legs.

8. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

First, you should not use the laptop on your lap. You could get some problem on your back in the future. Take care!

But, in any case, I guess it doesn't make much of a difference between the two laptops. The 15" is not much heavier than the 13". It would be more a matter of personal preference. Which laptop do you currently use?

9. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I went from a very light (2.5 pounds) 13" Sony Vaio Z to the 15" rMBP. I was concerned about the size and weight difference. But I find the 15" to be more stable on my lap. I use my external monitors less now than I did before.

10. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

I, for one, don't think this is a ridiculous post. It's easy to make a decision based on pics of the laptop on desks, or after using one in-store, then find it doesn't work well on a lap.

One thought I had was, would having it on your lap ever block the bottom/side vents? This seems possible from pics I've seen of their location.

11. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I had the 13" MBP for a long time, and then picked up a 15" rMBP this past October. Before I bought it, I remember wondering how comfortably it would fit in my lap, since I sometimes switch between my desk and couch while working. Despite the larger size, the rMBP does not feel any different than my old MBP.

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

That's probably not something to worry about unless you are doing things like running long video transcode jobs with it sitting on your lap. The rMBP has plenty of excess cooling capacity when doing normal stuff. Worst case, the fans might need to run a little faster.

With the intakes on the sides (lower) and the exhaust at the hinge, you're not very likely to block the airflow very much anyway.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I prefer the 15" MBP over a 13" air on my lap. It just feels ... sturdier.

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This will be a personal preference, but I went from a 15" to a 13" and like my 13" much better for lap use.

Keep in mind with the rMBP you cannot upgrade it from what I understand, so make sure you get what you need as you cannot upgrade. I decided against the retina for this reason, and am glad I did as I thought 4GB of ram would be enough, and due to my needs I added more memory (16GB) as the 4GB was not enough for me.

These questions are hard because everyone uses the laptops differently, and likes different things. For me the retina display did not justify the extra cost, but for others it does. Some do not mind not being able to upgrade their system. For me it matters.

Good luck on your choice.

15. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I'm not a big guy and the 15inch rmbp is perfect for my lap. 13inch was small and portable, but for lap use, it didn't fill the whole lap. I don't like wasted space on my lap. When there's room left, i'm like...****. I gotta do something with that area and it bugs me. I want my whole lap filled up. 15inch is perfect

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Ya think?

It's lighter than the 15". I really don't understand this thread. :confused:

17. DayVe3000 macrumors member

If price is not an issue - surely the bigger screen is going to be better for Movies.

However, for your taks - Both sound like over kill!

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With a 13" and smaller laptop I find the computer often sitting between my knees when I sit cross-legged, which is an issue since it will cause the power cord to detach. This isn't an issue with a 15" laptop.

Always unless you have physically handicapped, you shouldn't have a problem with 17", 15", or 13" Mac notebooks.

19. RickG macrumors regular

the 13 is the perfect all around size- if your doing a lot of travel with it you might like the 13 better

20. lsh macrumors 6502

I have the 15" because i needed a new laptop then and couldn't wait for the 13". When I use it on my lap or table, I really like it but whenever I pack and go, I wish I had a 13". I carry my mac everywhere. I'll likely upgrade when Haswell comes out.
    I was using a 14" HP - I wish there was a 14" option.