13" rMBP Wifi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skippymac, Mar 19, 2015.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi all,

I'm having some strange wifi problems with my MBP. It happens on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, although it's worse on the latter. Both networks have full signal strength according to the menu bar icon.

Basically what seems to be happening is the wifi seems to stop connecting to the internet every few minutes, although as far as I can tell it is still connected to the router.

Running a simultaneous ping test on my MBP and server via ssh results in lots of dropped packets from the MBP but none from the server. The weird part is that the server results are still getting sent to my MBP, suggesting the wifi connection must still be there even though the wifi is still connected.

The connection usually picks up after 30-60 seconds but consistently reconnects if I open the wifi menu.

This is a really annoying issue and this thread is my last hunt for answers before I go for a visit to the apple store.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jbs-horn macrumors newbie

Try turning off bluetooth. I think there is a bug in Yosemite that causes bluetooth to interfere with wifi. With bluetooth on my connections have to be reset frequently. With bluetooth off, wifi is quite reliable.

3. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Sorry for the late reply. I saw this advice floating around but I never have bluetooth turned on anyway :confused:

The problem seems to be marginally better at the moment, but I'll definitely be going into the Apple store when I go home for Easter.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Turn one of the networks off, does it improve?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Always a good first troubleshooting step, try an NVRAM reset:

Shut down the machine
    Press the power button
    Immediately hold down "command", "option", "P", and "R" until the device restarts and you hear the chime.

I always do this at work as it resolves many oddball issues now and again. It may have no impact, but it's always a good first step.