13"rMBP with 2 external displays in clamshell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fubar1977, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Hi

I have just received my new 27" Thunderbolt display and I`m loving it!
    I currently use this with my 13" rMBP (Late 2013 8GB) open to give 2 displays.
    I have a spare 24" 1080P LG monitor that I would prefer to use as the secondary display (over HDMI as it has no displayport connector.

Is there any reason I cannot use my MBP in clamshell mode on a shelf below the desk and run 1 x Thunderbolt display and 1 x HDMI display?
    Will this work? If so is it likely I would run into overheating issues?

I don`t push this machine hard, streaming video is probably as hard as it will ever work.

Thanks for any advice.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes it will work. No it will not overheat.

The word overheating gets thrown around a whole lot on this forum. Overheating by definition means the machine has heated itself to a point where it is dangerous for itself to keep running. All computers have fail-safes to prevent that. Should it ever reach a point where damage could be done (here's a hint, it won't), it will shut itself down for its own safety.

3. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Thanks snaky.

Didn`t think it would be an issue, just didn`t want to go to all the hassle of rearranging my whole setup only to find the MBP ends up running its fans at full speed all the time.
    I realise it will shut down before it gets to the point of causing damage I just don`t fancy having a wind turbine running under my desk the whole time!

I`ll have a play with it tonight and see if I like it as a setup.

Thanks again.