13" rMBP won't start - ticking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VintageMac, May 24, 2014.

1. VintageMac macrumors regular

6 mo. old 13" rMBP, SSD. Won't wake/start. Battery was almost depleted when my daughter plugged it in. Charger light is orange. It hasn't been charging long enough to turn green, so I'm not sure if it is charging. I've now noticed an extremely faint ticking sound, about 1/second, but only when the charger is plugged in. Any ideas?

Vintage

2. VintageMac thread starter macrumors regular

Charger light was still orange after charging overnight, so it could mean the battery is dead and it is not taking a charge. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Vintage

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Apples stupid power management chip on the battery won't charge it if there isn't enough juice on the battery to power the chip. Apparently that's a safety feature. You'll want to get that replaced under warranty. Honestly though I think leaving a laptop plugged in over night with a battery that sounds like it's ticking May not have been the best judgement call lol. It may be some other kind of defect that caused the battery to fail

4. VintageMac thread starter macrumors regular

Took to Genius Bar. Sent away and received back today. Logic Board and MagSafe Board were replaced.

Vintage

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the update, good to hear they took care of you. I'm concerned about the "ticking" sound you heard, because I just bought a brand new late 13 rMBP, and hear a "tick" or a faint "click" sound every now and then while using, just some light internet browsing on Firefox from my bed.

Fan has also been kicking on during my light browsing (which is all I've been doing, besides setting up Win 8.1 on Bootcamp, which took forever with all the updates and very tight partition size). Not too surprised, but my MBA fan rarely ever kicks on. I'm hoping these aren't signs of the same problem. :eek: Sent from my MacBook Pro.