13" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SnowLeopard2008, Dec 8, 2012.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've heard mixed reports of UI lag and other issues relating to the GPU performance in a retina-class display. But those were primarily based on the 15" rMBP. How about the 13" rMBP? Since it does not have a discrete graphics card, are these issues even worse? I'm debating buying the 13" (15" no matter how thin/light is too much and too big for me) and another thing holding me back is the "useable space" of the screen. I'm used to 1440x900 (I think 1280x800 is too little space on a 13") resolution. I know the "best" resolution for the 13" rMBP and the one by default is a useable space of 1280x800. If I adjust that to 1440x900 or even 1680x1050, is it still more clear than my current 13" 1440x900 MBA display?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Honestly? I think the whole "lag" issue is overblown, much like light bleed and yellow screens. Some people just can't be made happy and look for an excuse. I'm sure that for every one that comes here and complains that there are 20 that love theirs.

I had one, returned it due to other issues Apple seemed to be unable to fix, and promptly bought another. I love mine. I could probably get it to stutter/lag if I found some graphics heavy page and tried to high speed scroll or fling the scroll from top to bottom, but the reality is in everyday usage I never notice it. Who's to say it isn't page latency a on the site anyway. I'm an engineer for a huge web presence company, we inline enough stuff the user never actually sees on our pages it's a wonder they even load sometimes, and I guarantee that It can induce lag.

What I can say is that the clarity and color depth of the machine make it worth every penny for me and I have no regrets at all.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks for the answer, I just wanted to know if it would appear in "normal" day to day usage and not "let's try really hard to make it lag" type of situations.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

5. jrichie macrumors regular

There certainly is a lag when you put it at its highest resolution, which is why mine went back......

It was fine on the Thunderbolt Display but unacceptable at high resolution (the reason I bought it)

Btw these 'tests' by me were using program's like aperture and rhino....

If you are just surfing and using average software it is a great computer.

However, the day Haswell is released I will be re-ordering :)

6. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

There are always going to be people who think they haven't got their money's worth. Apple has a generous return policy, so buy it, try it, return it, or keep it.

7. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

8. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

There are lags and stutter everywhere, this is due to the graphic scaling overhead. I don't care what they say, it's definitely is not fluid and smooth all the time and everywhere like the non-retina models.
    Discrete video card or not, which is way overrated by the way, it spend most its time on the hd4000 anyway. So unless you disable the integrated gpu and deal with the reduce battery life to get smooth user interface. Fifteen inch is no different than thirteen inch most of the time on the hd4000.
    I have both the fifteen and thirteen retina models.

9. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

I have had mine for 3 days and have not seen any lag or otherwise. I am a power user and IT Manager......I have been wondering why mine does not exhibit the problem ......... maybe something was wrong with mine :)

I don't regret the rMBP at all. It has exceeded my expectations!:D

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

Don't listen to these clueless "web engineers" (who in the web dev world actually calls themselves 'engineers'? What a laugh. As dumb as people who call themselves 'code ninjas') and "IT managers".

Yes both the 13" and 15" lag. I only have the 15" but I assume since a lot of the scaling work is done via custom software instead of hardware and thus relies mainly on the CPU, the 13" will definitely lag more.

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Don't listen to people that assume either, as it's clear what that starts with.

Love it. I draw the troll

12. paepcke macrumors member

Happy 13" rMBP power user. No lag here. Responsive & Interactive as expected. Great Display!

I really Love it!

Non of this stories about lag are reproducible in real world.

13. Mercmanman macrumors member

No lag

I run retina and 1680 resolution alternatively. Never had lag.

I am sure you can get any computer to lag on some random web page whipping it up and down, this, or any other machine. So what?

Their is no day to day lag. The 13" is amazing.