13" rMBP's FaceTime camera lagging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GP20, Dec 14, 2012.

1. GP20, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

GP20 macrumors member

I just bought both a 13" rMBP and a 13" MacBook Air to test them out and see which one I like more to keep and I'll return the other one. I noticed that on the rMBP, the FaceTime camera seems to lag a bit compared to the MBA and the color seems a bit worse, too.

Is the lag normal on the rMBP? If it is, could future software updates fix this issue or is it a hardware limitation? My job requires me to use video conference everyday for at least half an hour, so the camera is actually a big factor which machine I end up keeping.

Thanks! Really appreciate your help!

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

Considering they both have the same camera and similar processing power it should be the same on both I would imagine.

3. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

In theory, yes. But I have 2 computers side by side and the rMBP's FaceTime camera's FPS is very apparently lower. I restarted both machines and went straight to FaceTime so no other program is running.

4. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone experienced the same thing? Or does anyone own both a rMBP and MBA and doesn't mind testing the camera?

5. Prmise macrumors newbie

They have the same camera and similar processing power it is exactly the same. No differents.

6. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

Nope. This can't be it. I just exchanged the rMBP yesterday. The new one is still doing the same thing. The one I returned, when it was under the bright lights in the apple store, had no lags. But once the genius brought it back to their back-room under more normal lighting, he was able to see the lags compared to the MBA so he exchanged it for me. After I took the new rMBP home, it was still visibly lagging when I put it next to the MBA.:confused:

7. keviny macrumors newbie