13" Screen Resolution Sufficient

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by conkerbot, Dec 29, 2011.

1. conkerbot macrumors member

Hi, I'm currently looking at buying a new laptop, and after trying to find a decent Windows laptop to save some money I've decided "sod it, let's get a mac".
    If I hold off I will be able to get a 15" MBP fully specced, with enough money to buy a SSD to go inside. However, I really need one now.

Right now, a high street store's doing the 13" one with 750GB hdd for the same price as the stock one, and it's really tempting. However, I run Unity3D, Visual Studio, xCode, FCX and a few other apps which benefit from better screen resolutions. I know the MBP only has 1280*800, but I was wondering from users if they feel this is good enough for running those kind of apps? I probably will be able to afford an external screen in a few months, plus as a present from my Grandfather for getting into Uni I'll probably be getting an iMac. However, I don't want to rely on either of these in case anything doesn't go to plan, so from your real life experience is the resolution on the MBP 13" screen sufficient for pro applications?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Santa brought us the 128GB model for Christmas. With most of our storage on a NAS and iTunes Match this works fairly well so far and has not proven to be a real limitation. I do not intend to Boot Camp it though.

If we outgrow it I'll just get a third party SSD from OWC or the like...

B

6. conkerbot thread starter macrumors member

My laptop usually sits with around 300GB of stuff on it, and that's general files and work rather than media for enjoyment. While I could in theory readjust it to work on an external HDD, I really prefer just having one disc to keep nice and messy. Saying that, if I'm fairly certain about getting the iMac, I would be able to quite easily live with 128GB as I too use external storage for movies and iTunes Match for music... decisions decisions :rolleyes: