13" Screen usage for work

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macman4789, Jun 5, 2010.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Considering the MBP 13" for portable work. Will be typing up a thesis using word processor, reading pdf's etc.

Question to those who have experience in this, what is it like to use for this type of usage? Does it get annoying with the smaller screen or is it a nice size to work with? Bearing in mind I'll be word processing with it for a long time.

Thanks guys

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

The screen resolution on the 13 inch mbp doesn't make it the most conducive screen for reading portrait documents, but in the 4 years of owning a macbook, I haven't found it a terrible problem. I do like to hide the dock though to get as much vertical screen real estate as possible.

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I have had a 13" MBP for almost a year and I too like to hide the dock for the most screen real estate. Its a gorgeous screen to work on but there is a lot of scrolling involved -_- but I still would highly recommend it, the keyboard is a dream to type on too. :apple:

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

having finished my 75 page thesis using my macbook (13") only a few months ago, i can confirm that it poses no problems for this kind of usage at all.

I have the dock hidden, which gives me a little more vertical reading space, and have always appreciated that the smaller size of the laptop in general as it meant that I could change my working environment and still be comfortable (from desk to library to coffee shop to sofa). I always found this difficult when working on my 15" mbp, which is much more suited to desk work.

Another point to consider is that some people (myself included) find working with the glass screens of mbp's for reading is eye-strain inducing and therefore not very comfortable for long periods. The non 'glassy' macbook is much better for this.

I'd check both out before purchase, just to make sure that what you end up with is most comfortable for you :)

5. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

You know, when I got my 13" MBP I thought it was going to be too small, but the multi-touch gestures really make it workable. And I also use four desktops, via Spaces, and I think it's pretty great. I have an external monitor at home, so I think the 13" MPS is a great machine.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I have the dock on my MB setup to be vertical and on the right side. This gives me full use of the vertical dimension for web use. When I travel and use it for Photoshop I have it set to automatically hide and appear when I scroll over to let my use the entire screen. To that end it i snot a problem

7. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your helpful replies guys, I just wanna ensure that using a word processor, viewing pdf's aren't gonna be a huge problem. Hiding the dock is also a good idea to gain more screen real estate.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have both a 13 and 15". You'll be fine with the 13" and appreciate its 'use anywhere" size. Down the road add an external monitor if need be.