13''+ssd or 15'' i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazymac2010, May 12, 2010.

1. crazymac2010 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys:

Still the simple stupid question:
    Should i get the 13'' low end +128 ssd or 15'' i5 low end?
    Which is faster? Which worth more in the long term?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My thoughts are that you can always upgrade the 15" to have a SSD, but you can never upgrade the 13" to have an i5 processor.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I'd say 15" i5 then upgrade to SSD and more RAM down the line.

4. jthomasa macrumors newbie

What will you be using it for? If you are like me and it is mostly internet, Office/iWork, video streaming, occasional online play and possibly occasional gaming the 13" with SSD would be the better option in my research at least. That is what I will be doing, dropping in an Intel X25-M 160gb SSD (possibly a 320gb if I wait until the end of the year and the pricing is decent). This upgrade will put my total cost at $1099 for the MBP (education discount) + $400 for the SSD = $1500. Still shy of the baseline 15" by $100, and a lot faster (from what I've researched) for booting, reading/writing files, running multiple applications, etc. All the stuff that matters to me, especially when running multiple spreadsheets and word docs and umpteen web tabs open with iTunes going. I could care less about pushing the envelope of my HD with the latest Photoshop or something like that.

Of course I prefer small laptops and always have, so the 15" definitely seemed too big for my needs when I was at the Apple store. Even though it looked very pretty with the hi res and anti-glare options.

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

There is really no way to answer that without knowing how you plan to use it, how concerned you are with the cost, how important portability is, how long you plan to keep it, etc.

If money is no object, and you don't care about battery life or portability then get the 15. As someone else pointed out, you can upgrade the drive later.

6. Inakto macrumors regular

IMO SSDs are overated, overpriced, and tiny

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I really don't think you will see a huge difference between them. Yeah and SSD will boot faster and load apps and files a bit faster, but that is a lot of money to spend for little practical benefit. It really depends on what you use it for, how portable you want it, and what factor cost plays. If money is no object, get the 15, but if you want to save some cash, go 13. Either will be plenty fast.

8. MacSignal macrumors regular

The one part of your question that can be answered with some certainty is: the i5 15 will be worth more (resale) long term than the upgraded 13.

What would best otherwise depends on your personal preferences and how you would use the computer.

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

This is the play. Buy the 15", upgrade to a high rez screen, matt finish if you want, and wait a couple of years for faster/cheaper/better SSDs.

10. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Also consider that the 15inch has a discreet graphics card, which will speed up 3D and video performance tremendously. It's another thing you can't upgrade later.

And for those of you knocking the SSD option, I'm guessing you've never really used one. The increase in speed is absolutely worth it. I know people who switched to SSD and say they'll never switch back to regular drives.

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

There is a HUGE difference in how the computer "feels" to use with an SSD. It can't really be put into words; use one before you decide OP. If using one doesn't make up your mind, then the choice doesn't matter.