13" Touchbar vs 13" Non Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phantom5251, Nov 29, 2016.

1. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade from my early 15" 2011 MBP to one of the new ones. It's been a great machine over the past few years, but starting to show its age. Battery is not running as well, seems like fans are constantly on, etc, and so would like to upgrade while something can still be had for it (especially since it's now apparently on its way to becoming "vintage").

Given that the models have been out for a bit, I was wondering what recommendations people had based on usage of both? I went to the local Best Buy and have tried out both, and am torn. It seems like in terms of performance, both are about the same, but of course am curious if the Touch ID functionality, the Touchbar, and processor boost really make that much of a difference? The 12" MacBook seems a bit too small, and then it seems like the Air is on the way out, so this seems like the next best step?

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I had the non touch 13" for about a week before returning it for the touch bar, as I missed having ports on both sides, and wanted to make use of the Touch ID, which has worked very well thus far, even though there is not always a prompt for root access level changes. I have used the touch bar more than I though I would. I am still getting used to the keyboard, as I was used to the late 2011 keyboard. While others may not find the touch bar useful, I am glad I got the model for the extra ports, speed, and Touch ID. The touch bar is an added bonus (for me at least) that I believe will mature more in the coming months. I use my Mac plugged in most of the time so I don't need 9 - 10 hours of battery life every time. I did test the battery strength once and got 8 hours with mixed use. Your mileage will vary.

If you don't need the extra ports to make for a smoother work / personal flow, don't care about Touch ID etc. the base model is an excellent machine and can handle a lot, in my opinion.

Buy for what your budget and needs allow for. Don't buy for future proofing or resale, as those ideologies are nothing more than justifications to spend more money.

3. phantom5251 thread starter macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Thanks for the feedback. On your model, do you have 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM? If you don't mind sharing, what are some workflows you have found to be improved thanks to the Touch Bar?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have the 13" 8GB 256 SSD TB.

As to the touch bar itself, I am still getting used to it as I am the keyboard. At this point, the touch bar has been used more for personal use thus far, than work flow related. I have used the touch bar with stock apps (and Fantastical) the most, as programs like Office, Adobe and other products with touch bar releases are pending.

5. phantom5251 thread starter macrumors 6502

phantom5251

That's the model I'm considering. How has battery life been? Non TB users seem to think they get more battery life out of that version, but not sure. Does it run hot after awhile?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have only tested the battery once thus far and got 8hrs. At this point, it seems many here are only getting around 6 hours, depending on use. I didn't get a chance to test the non touch battery before returning it. Many here get 9 - 10 hours with the non touch.

As to running hot, the only time I had the fans kick ion, was when I was doing some work with a movie. I also noticed that the bottom left corner area next to the track pad got noticeably warm during the work. As soon as the work was done, the fans cut off and said warm area cooled back down to normal. Coming from a late 2011 13" this machine has been super quiet and cool outside of that instance, which is understandable.