13" uMBP Charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D4F, Jul 22, 2009.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

This thing gets impossibly hot!
    Today I unplugged the charger after filling the whole battery and I got burned.
    I am no joking.
    I am trying to find a temp reader as I never experienced anything like it.

Anybody had any similar issues?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. pratap21 macrumors member

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Oh duh. I'm an idiot.

5. TheDoubleEm macrumors newbie

TheDoubleEm

well mine gets hot too, but nothing dramatic
    (area around cpu on mbp 13 is with 58ºC similar hot like charger)

6. klee1987 macrumors regular

you can't compare them like that as they are different materials so they have different heat conductivities...

if you touch a piece of metal and wood in the same room (assuming they are at the same initial temperature) the metal will always feel colder as it carries heat away from your hand more readily.

7. Snowbound macrumors regular

Yes they get really hot. If it actually burned you, then maybe take it to apple and show them the burn and ask what they can do about it.

8. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

mine doesn't really get too hot, however, everytime I plug it into the wall socket, a white spark goes off....I seriously get this everytime I plug it in.....at different wall sockets...

9. cekum macrumors newbie

+1
    think it's kinda dangerous!

and mine gets really HOT while charging:eek:

10. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I've noticed it varies with different sockets/places. Like at home with my old Lenovo the charger wouldn't get that hot, but at some places (like at the hospital) it would get blazing hot. The ambient room temperature was the same.

11. Smoothie macrumors 6502

The AC adapter that comes with the 13" MBP has a different (and higher) model number than the 60 watt adapters available at the Apple store. I found that the one that came with my MBP runs cooler than a spare that I bought at the Apple store. I assume that a different model number means some sort of change in design. But neither of the adapters I have gets burning hot.

12. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I've noticed that my adapter gets uncomfortably hot when I plug it directly in to a outlet, but not so when used with the extension cord :confused: I'm a little bit concerned about this (heat) as none of my other laptop adapters been that hot under use...

13. hamish5178 macrumors member

Mine gets pretty hot if it is charging my battery a lot (as in more than 40%). Nothing serious, just don't grab it without testing it first. With all the electricity flowing through it doesn't surprise me.