13" uMBP New Battery turns off at 19%?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamMacPerson, Mar 4, 2015.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I bought a new battery for a MacBook Pro in my fleet and replaced it today. The battery came from iFixIt who I trust and was told it was official.

I get it today, everything seemed fine and the computer was reading it fine. I got it down to about 19% when all of a sudden it just died. I plugged it in and it came back to life, however the battery indicator read 0% instead of 19% and CoconutBattery was reporting a 75% battery life (versus 96.5% when I first installed it).

I tried an SMC and PRAM reset and the only thing that did was screw up Trim Enabler so now I'll have to restore my Time Machine backup. Anyone have any ideas what to try or should I just send it back to iFixIt?

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Is this a Unibody MBP? I'm guessing yes with the uMBP?

3. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

Based on what you are saying, it's absolutely a bad battery...no doubt about it...we've seen this many times

4. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Not always true. The battery and the SMC may be off. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah that is correct.

Ok thats what I was thinking. I'll see about returning it then. Thank you!

Already did.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Believe it or not I was actually in the middle of the run down process when the computer turned off. No warning either because the OS still thought there was 19% left.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It looks like you got either a, used up, used battery, or a defective new one. Coconut should have reported 100% battery life when the battery was first installed. When you did the calibration, 19% became 0%, and the 96% reading was corrected by about 19% to the approx 75% actual life, as reported by CoconutBattery.