13" uMBP - Serious Trackpad Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleanup, Jan 29, 2010.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Recently my uMBP's trackpad has been essentially unusable. Multitouch no longer works. It barely registers physical clicks. Tap to click doesn't work. It tracks extremely poorly. I can't even do two-finger scroll. Right click also no longer works.

First of all, is this a common problem and is there a fix?

And secondly, if I have to bring it in, I'm a bit worried as it'll be the first Mac I've ever brought in for replacement/service. I haven't had issues before. The thing is, I DO have some pirated software installed. I know there's a lot of taboo surrounding that, but to each his own. That's not the topic here. I was wondering if that was going to be an issue when I attempt to bring in the laptop. Please, no lectures!

2. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

All is well. I suspected that a third-party program might be causing the problems, so I took a look at my SteerMouse installation and saw that the trial period had expired. So I uninstalled it, and everything seems to be working fine as usual. Clicks register perfectly now!

But still, I am wondering about that pirated software issue. :)

3. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I doubt pirated software would be much of an issue, unless the tech is really digging into your stuff, which they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

If you don't mind my asking, who makes the software? I guess if it's Apple (like iLife/Works), that might make a difference...