13" uMBP - This sound decent?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nullx86, Aug 23, 2009.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

With me starting college soon, i decided to get a real mac and join the flagship/cult (however you perceive it is up to you), but I wanted to get some buying advice before I do anything. My budget is 1500USD or under. So far I priced out the baseline 13" MBP and just added some upgrades and I'm at $1368.54 (Baseline w/250GB HDD, 4GB memory, Apple remote and MiniDisplay to DVI). Now I know that the 13" only comes with the 9400M and I think this will be ok for me (I'm currently running a hack with a old GeForceGo 7300 and its providing just enough, so 9400M will be an upgrade :D). I wont be able to get this until around October so it might change then, but this is just my general plan. So is this something good to get or should something else be bought instead? Like i said this is my first apple buy, so i want this one to be a good one. thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds good. you could also go for a white MacBook for a bit less which is only a little slower but without the extras and not quite as future proof. or get a refurbished 13" MBP.

also if you want buy memory and the hard drive elsewhere. you could then sell the stock hard drive and memory (easy to remove) and get some money back.

4. bjorn989 macrumors member

upgrade hard drive/RAM yourself

From my experience, Apple charges way too much for hard drive/RAM upgrades. If you buy the hard drive and ram yourself, you can install it relatively easily (apple even shows you how) and save a lot of money.

They are great machines, the 13" uMBP. You will be very happy with it, especially if you go with the ram upgrade. Remember that the integrated graphics of this model means it shares graphics memory with the computer so the more ram you have on board the more it can allocate to the graphics.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

bjorn is right... upgrade hdd and ram urself, its relatively simple [​IMG] but apple some how charge about $80 for 1gb ??

6. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

you can get AppleCare on a refurb?

For me the reason of MB vs MBP is the polycarbonite shell versus the alum shell, alum is better for me, the plastic will get scratched too easily.

Yeah, I've been looking at the disassembly guides on iFixit and it looks pretty simple to take apart. Yeah, I know about the 9400m sharing the ram, if i had the money I would get the 15" with the 9600M GT in a heartbeat, but I dont.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. So get the refurb with the stuff "Jack Flash" listed above right? Can I get the refurb with my education discount? And reason for getting a refurb over a new one other than cost? Just wondering because my last expierence with refurbs was not good (Dell, if you must ask - XPS M1530, bad GFX die and bad HDD, out for two weeks for repairs, i wasnt happy about that to say the least), so are Apple's any different? Thanks guys!

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, you can get AppleCare on a refurbished Mac.

There is no educational discount on the refurbs, and the biggest reason to get a refurb would be the price. Some say that refurbs have even tighter quality check than new Macs, so you should be fine on that front :)

8. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

9. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ok, well that puts my mind at ease then. Really? You sure cause I was sure you could get a refurb with either the education discount or the ADC Student discount. Oh well, at $999, its a bargin anyways so i wont complain. How long does AppleCare last on the refurb and how much would I be looking at?

I bet there is some site out there, just takes a bit of looking.