13" Unibody MacBook Pro Clicking/Ping Type Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Potomac, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Potomac macrumors member

I got the 13" Pro from that big fella in the red suit who lives up north. So far so good with the computer but if I pick it up fast or jostle it around, I hear this clicking type noise coming from the area of the hard drive. I have been told that this is a sensor locking down the hard drive before the computer falls and hits the floor for example and is nothing to worry about. Is this the case? Again, it only happens when I give the computer a quick movements and once it happens, I can't reproduce the sound until the computer has been still for a while which makes sense if this is a safety feature. Also, I can only get the computer to "click" when the screen/lid is open and the computer is awake which also backs up the safety feature explanation.

I just want to make sure I have nothing to worry about. My 2008 white Macbook will not make this clicking sound but I have been told that is will but you just can't hear it. My guess is the aluminum amplifies the sound a bit.

Thanks all. I appreciate it.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

My PB G4 would do this noticeably but my MBP 13 does not.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have the same 13" mbp as you but I've never jostled it. It's not really a good idea. You should pick them up by two hands too. They are not eggshells but they are also not indestructible. I guess I don't understand swinging it around to see if I can get the heads on the drive to lock. You're just tempting fate. Also when the drive spins it is also a flywheel and flywheels don't like to be forced to move from the horizontal to the vertical or visa versa. Treat your new machine well and it will give you years of faithful service.

4. prodigee macrumors 6502a

It sounds like its activating the sudden motion sensor like you thought it was. It is a feature to protect the actual platter from hitting the head and thus destroying the drive. If I were you I wouldn't jostle the machine that much just because in the long run you could knock some connections loose or damage the HDD. I would treat your brand new machine like a baby, remember if you beat the crap out of it, it certainly will come back to bite you in the ass.;)

5. Potomac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you all for the replies. Now that I think about it, "jostle" wasn't the best word to use. Mainly if I pick the computer up (with two hands of course;)), I get the clicking of what I've been told is the sudden motion sensor. Again, the sound is a clicking type noise that happens, for example, I pick the computer up fast when the lid is open. I just want to make sure that this is normal and there is nothing to worry about as it scared the sh*t out of me when I first heard it. :D Plus, if there is by any chance a problem, I would like to get it resolved ASAP.

Thanks again for the help.

6. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If you are truly worried, and it is easily reproducable, take it in to the Apple store. Worst thing, you end up wasting a little time.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If it is concerning you this much you might as well just taking it to the Apple store to be safe, the worst thing that can happen is that they tell you everything is fine. I personally dont think there is anything wrong, but who knows there might be... Just take it in and see what the Geniuses say.

8. kolax macrumors G3

You can turn off the SMS for the hard drive if the clicking is irritating you.

Hard drives when turned on can survive a good few G's - and if you ever dropped your laptop, last thing I'd worry about is the hard drive (only because I am backed up with Time Machine and any crucial work gets saved onto my USB stick).

9. imagine123 macrumors newbie

The "Click" is perfectly normal when you lift the laptop suddenly, happens to me all the time. I have a 13" MBP (Oct 09) with the Hitachi 160gb hd.

I've went through 3 of them in a couple of weeks (dead pixels, exchanges) and they all had this, although some were louder and more sensitive than others, mainly due to the fact that they had different models/brands of HD.

Hope that helps!

10. Potomac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all again for the replies. I will set up an appointment just to be sure. I'd rather waste an hour of my life than have some sort of issues with the computer. My computer (the base model) isn't very sensitive but sometimes a quick movement will set it off. I'm glad to hear that it is a safety feature.

Thanks again. I appreciate it. Happy New Year!

11. frozen macrumors newbie

Mine clicks only when using an external monitor with the lid is shut.
    Is it getting to warm? When I open the lid it does not click.