Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hi everyone, apologies if something like this has already been asked but I wasn't able to find it.

I recently bought a new unibody 13'' MacBook. I am dual booting both OSX and Vista. (This is my first Mac in recent years.)

I tend to do a bit of traveling, and I'm used to from PCs having a physical switch on the laptop that lets you turn wireless functions on and off (for airplanes/airports etc). I notice in OSX that you can get the same ability by turning both off from their icons in the menu bar, but there doesn't seem to be a similar function for Windows, so I have to go to device manager and shut everything off that way.

So I was hoping if anyone knew of a similar piece of software that would ideally sit in the notification tray and let me one-click both wireless and bluetooth on and off, so I'm not sending out little signals while I'm on the plane.

Thanks a lot!

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
There is a widget on the Apple downloads site that toggles bluetooth called Bluetooth Switch but I haven't found one for WiFi (which is odd).

I need a tool for Windows actually, so the OSX widgets are something else. :D

I can disable it fine in OSX just with the icons in the menu bar, but it's not as simple to do it in Vista.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ahh. Maybe try a Vista-specific site. My old Compaq used to have a single button on the case that would toggle WiFi and Bluetooth. Very handy for the airplane.

Right, I'm used to having that on PCs as well.

But I have a MacBook, so I don't really think most Vista users will be familiar with the differences.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Can't you set the Bluetooth icon to sit in the system tray via the Control Panel preferences?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Can't you set the Bluetooth icon to sit in the system tray via the Control Panel preferences?

It does that by default, but there's no option in that menu to disable bluetooth.

Plus ideally I would like something that shuts off both bluetooth and wireless in one go, so I don't have to go through a bunch of menus. Right now I have to open device manager and disable them both through that, which is annoying to do (not to mention time consuming when you're on the plane to begin with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.