13" unibody runs very hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fraser1980, Aug 29, 2009.

1. fraser1980 macrumors member

Is there a common issue with the 13" unibody macbook running hot?

I have had this machine for about a year now, at first it was fine, but then a couple of months after I had it, it started getting very hot. It is especially noticeable when watching videos where it becomes too hot to keep on my lap. If, for instance I am watching a video on youtube, the heat gets even greater and I can hear the fan working overtime and it gets louder and louder until the video is stopped.

The heat comes from underneath the top left corner (under the esc key). Common issue, or should I get in touch with Apple?

2. zbasarab macrumors member

I have the same computer. My comp gets a tad hot but nothing unbearable and certainly I've never had my comp stop during a video due to heat.

It's possible you have a defective product, that or all macbooks like ours run the way you are describing and you are more critical of it.

3. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Get Smcfancontrol after you get it go to preferences change it to higher RPM and make it about 4500 RPM ur macbook will be good

4. oxox-cocoa-oxox macrumors newbie

mine does the same thing when i'm playing online games too (and of course during i watch youtube or any kind of videos...)

i guess it's just the RAM...? It's OK when I put it on the laptop stand, but it does get uncomfortable when it's on my lap...

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The YouTube issue is due to Flash Player being a piece of crap on OS X and using WAY more CPU cycles than it should (especially compared to in Windows). As for overheating, never had that happen...hmm

It's an issue, and Adobe is well aware of it. As for xoxo, well yeah it's going to get hot while gaming; gaming is CPU/GPU intensive....which means heat output.

6. fraser1980 thread starter macrumors member

When I say "the video is stopped", I mean "I stop the video" not "the video stops because of overheating"

7. Joerigoesmac macrumors member

Joerigoesmac

hey i got the same problem. When i play an online game, it gets really hot (but not overheating), but when i quit the game the laptop is back on normal temperature withing 10 minutes. And it cant be overheating because i played games for 58 hours straight so far. gogo world of warcraft, wich also runs betters on mac =D