13" updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schwin54, Oct 23, 2011.

  1. schwin54 macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2011
    So I'm currently in school and midterm paper deadlines are approaching. My old laptop died on me and I've decided to go with a 13"mbp, the question is whether or not I should wait for the rumored spec bumps coming early next month? I know nobody knows for sure but I'm starting to hear that the update will only apply to the 15 and 17", advice?:confused:
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    The spec bump will be so slight, you will not notice any speed gains.
    If you need a laptop now, buy it now. And if the MBPs get updated in early November, and that update is so tasty, that you want that, you can always return your MBP within 14 days of purchase and get a newer one.
  3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a


    Aug 29, 2011
    Nobody knows for sure until updates ( if any ) actually roll out.
  4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2010
    They've got to update something about the 13". 9to5mac reported new model numbers that included 2 13" numbers. I find it hard to believe Apple would allow such a long shortage of inventory with 3rd party sellers within something more significant than a 100-300mhz bump. Who says they won't go more aggressive with this update knowing they can draw some additional sales from people holding out for the supposed physical redesign next year.

    It has been said by many posters on this forum, lots of waiting buyers would snap up a 13" pro with a bump in resolution. Perhaps there is more wishful thinking than reality in my prediction; but ultimately it comes down to how badly you need a new computer. A loss in productivity for your business is NOT worth the wait. But if you can manage in the meantime then why not wait. "first week of November" includes a week from Tuesday; a likely date.
  5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

    Jul 26, 2011
    If your college bookstore sells Macs, check with the store to see if they will be offering previous-generation MBPs at a discount after the new models are announced. The best deals can be found at bookstores that purchase a bunch of previous-generation Macs and then sell them at a deep discount because they got a great deal from Apple.

    I have saved up to 40% of brand new Macs going this route. If you don't need the latest and greatest Mac you can save a bundle of dough.

    I'm typing this response on a 24" iMac that originally had an MSRP of $2000. I bought it new for $1100 and the deal included $149 off any iPod or a free iPod Nano. I selected an iPod Classic so I essentially got the Mac for $950. Sweet!
  6. dissdnt macrumors 65816


    Aug 3, 2007
    I was thinking about this today. Right now the Air 13 inch has a better display then the macbook pro 13 inch. Makes no sense.

    If they update soon I really hope they up the resolution to 1440 on the 13 inch. It might sway me to pick one up in exchange for a 15 inch.

    Also a quad core i5 would be nice on that model.

    Guess we'll see.
  7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

    Jul 26, 2011
    This is a matter of opinion... I spent a lot of time using a new MBA and the display caused me incredible eyestrain unlike anything I have ever experienced. I was inclined to purchase an MBA but the display killed that idea.

    The 13" MBP display is a lot better in this regard than the MBA. Resolution isn't everything. I suspect that the LED backlit displays on the MBAs are different than other portable Macs.

    A LOT of people have problems with Apple's LED displays and not just the MBAs. Just check Apple's official forum and see what others have to say about it...

    I wouldn't purchase a new portable Mac before spending some time in the store using the computer for at least 15-30 minutes. If your eyes are sensitive to LED backlighting you should notice it pretty quickly.

    Otherwise, purchase the Mac from a retailer that has a good return policy such as Apple's 14-day return period.
  8. GermanyChris macrumors 601


    Jul 3, 2011
    No the MBA has more resolution not a "Better Display"

    It'll stay where it is..text is easer to read, Icons are bigger etc. on lower resolution. This is far more important than more resolution. Plug you 13" into and TB Display if you need resolution.
  9. Kafka macrumors 6502

    Mar 10, 2011
  10. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2011

    Resolution isn't everything! There is a lot more that makes a display "good".

    Color accuracy (Gamut), Viewing Angles and Brightness to name a few...
  11. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816


    Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    For all those on the fence about buying a new MacBook Pro. I wouldn't buy one now because Apple hasn't announced anything yet but in 2012 the line will be updated, therefore for the latest and greatest MacBook Pro you should wait until about April of 2012 to get one.

    But then, by that time rumours of the 2013 model will be flying around at full speed and that one promises to be really awesome, so maybe waiting until 2013 might be your best bet.

    However, my inside sources at Apple say that the 2014 model will be the "next generation" model and therefore waiting until that version is out would be the best bang for your buck.

    Then again, with the way chips are being designed the 2015 model will be revolutionary and an entire game changer as far as laptops go so if you want the best of the best of the best then 2015 is your year to buy that MacBook Pro you need now. After all you wouldn't want to buy an outdated computer would you.

    But then in 2016 and then 2017 the rumor mill is really speculating some amazing things.

    The moral of the story is.... if you want the MacBook Pro buy it now, a new updated version is always right around the corner.

    Then again, if you really want that totally awesome MacBook Pro, 2018 will be the year to take the plunge. or maybe 2019, no wait 2020.
  12. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2010
    This is good advice. Someone's got to buy up all the existing models to force the update even sooner. Third party sellers are nearly depleted, so focus on apple stores only.

    Also, could you stop over at my grocery store and buy the last of the expiring milk so I can get some of the fresh stuff this week. Thnkz
  13. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

    Jul 10, 2011
    This made my day.

    And yeah, just bought my own 13" and added some stuff to it. Couldn't possibly be happier. I didn't wanna wait for the refresh
  14. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 13, 2009

    what did ya add?
  15. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

    Jul 10, 2011
    In my signature. Got some crucial RAM and added a small boot drive to it. Much, much snappier and I'm extremely happy with my machine. I have an iPad2 32gb as well to any portability isn't a problem.
  16. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 13, 2009
    ah okay, should have looked at that..

    so is the ssd worth the upgrade.. what does it improve?

    I dont use my optical drive much, but i still do use it.. did you ge that external drive kit for the existing drive? If so, does it still work good?
  17. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

    Jul 10, 2011
    An SSD allows for a faster boot up time, apps open faster, etc. A small 50gb one like mine cost $60 plus the $20-$30 for an optibay. I Think it's definitely worth the upgrade. And as for the optical drive, I hardly ever use it since I'm pretty much digitally driven with iCloud now. So if you still use yours frequently and have some money to spend I'd recommend getting a bigger SSD and replaced your HDD altogether and keep the ODD.
  18. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    There is always some one who makes a post like this. Perhaps it's entertaining the first time, but after that they are unoriginal. Try to actually be helpful next time.
  19. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

    May 5, 2011
    You know what, the evolved humans living in the 4th millenium are going to look through this seemingly puny (couple petabytes) of internet storage and go "Damn that's one mob of stupid bastards". Shall we wait till then when the dinosaurs return and cows start flying? Perhaps the new Mac Pros will be out by then too and I might as well buy one to upgrade from my current three-week-old Mac Pro which is already starting to show its age.
  20. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

    Feb 18, 2010
    I'd say if you can wait, cause that makes your computer more valuable. if you need it now like someone else said you probably won't notice a huge processing difference

Share This Page