13 vs 15 inch Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desiterp, May 23, 2010.

1. desiterp macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am planning to buy my FIRST Macbook Pro(13 or 15 inch). My primary use will be software development. Along with the development environment (IDE), I need to have one virtual machine running in the background most of the time.

My current HP 17" laptop with Core 2 Duo (2 gigs of RAM) somehow just manages this task. I have to walk in the university and the 17" makes me suffer a lot. I need a powerful but portable laptop.

I am very much confused between 13" with C2D and 15" with i5

Any suggestions?

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

get the 13" with more ram and ssd. obviously 13" is the most portable, in which that's what your looking for, and with those updated configs you will have a tiny but beastly machine! good luck.

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

If you need the power go ahead and go for the 15" inch. You're already used to a 17" so a 15" should be a good balance of portability and power. That's how I ended up with a 15".

4. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I'd go with the 15" - you'll have a higher resolution display, much better for coding. Plus, it's got more power, which will be useful if you've got the VM running all the time.

5. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

I'd also suggest a 15in for coding. And get the HR one.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Go with the 15", It's a really portable machine, I carry it all day and it's great.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If I were you I'd get a 13" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, and a SSD. With those specs, your MacBook Pro will scream:D A lot of people say that a 13" screen is too small, but once you get used to it its fine. The battery life is good, and you shouldn't need a massive screen for software development.

*You can also get a 24" Apple display, in case you do need a big screen once in a while. It would also be nice to watch movies or play games on if the need arises. I'm going to get a 24" Apple display for my 13" MacBook Pro when I can:D