Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desiterp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hello All,

I am planning to buy my FIRST Macbook Pro(13 or 15 inch). My primary use will be software development. Along with the development environment (IDE), I need to have one virtual machine running in the background most of the time.

My current HP 17" laptop with Core 2 Duo (2 gigs of RAM) somehow just manages this task. I have to walk in the university and the 17" makes me suffer a lot. I need a powerful but portable laptop.

I am very much confused between 13" with C2D and 15" with i5

Any suggestions?

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
get the 13" with more ram and ssd. obviously 13" is the most portable, in which that's what your looking for, and with those updated configs you will have a tiny but beastly machine! good luck.

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If you need the power go ahead and go for the 15" inch. You're already used to a 17" so a 15" should be a good balance of portability and power. That's how I ended up with a 15".

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
I'd go with the 15" - you'll have a higher resolution display, much better for coding. Plus, it's got more power, which will be useful if you've got the VM running all the time.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If I were you I'd get a 13" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, and a SSD. With those specs, your MacBook Pro will scream:D A lot of people say that a 13" screen is too small, but once you get used to it its fine. The battery life is good, and you shouldn't need a massive screen for software development.

*You can also get a 24" Apple display, in case you do need a big screen once in a while. It would also be nice to watch movies or play games on if the need arises. I'm going to get a 24" Apple display for my 13" MacBook Pro when I can:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.