13 vs 15 inch rMBP decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcricky, Oct 22, 2013.

1. dcricky macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying a new rMBP for work. I currently have a 15 inch mid 2009 2.66 Ghz intel core 2 duo and looking to upgrade.

Basic Needs:
    512GB HD
    16 gigs ram (I think...)

I don't do video work now but likely that minor editing in Final cut may be in the future. regular photoshop work (not too heavy) along with multiple programs, a large amount tabs etc at same time.

I was going to buy a 15 inch but I'm either stuck with the $2599 model or upgrading the $1999 model to basically the same price.

If I go to an upgrade top of the line 13 inch, what am I missing in terms of graphics power and processing power? I occasionally game and may end up running parallels.

I also want to keep this computer 3-5 years if possible.

2. mv71 macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I want to know.

I also have to decide whether I should buy the max base 13" with 16 GB Ram at 1999$ or the 15" max base with 512 GB SSD at 2599$?

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

If you've stuck out a 2009 MacBook Pro til now then either will be a big upgrade. Either model will happily run Photoshop or Parallels - I suspect the main difference for you could be the actual screen size. It's only 2", but from my experience using Lightroom extensively on my laptop the extra screen space the 15" offers is something you'll probably appreciate unless you're able to hook it up to an external screen whenever you're editing.

4. purplekush604 macrumors member

I'm wondering the exact same thing. 15' base or high end 13'?

5. dcricky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I probably won't have an external as I alternate between & my office and occasionally the field.