13' vs 15' Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Smd, Jul 26, 2012.

1. No Smd macrumors newbie

I was wondering which one is worth buying? Is the lack of a graphics card on the 13' effect anything?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

If you want to play games, yes, get the 15" The intel 3000 isnt that bad for light gaming but if you play game regularly then you will want the nvidia descrete

3. No Smd thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they both run Windows 7 well? I'm going to try and start gaming more on the computer because xbox is getting a little boring XD.

4. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

13" MBP's get Intel HD Graphics 4000. 15" get Intel HD Graphics 4000 and
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB or 1 GB of GDDR5.

5. Panini macrumors regular

Let's put it this way;

The 13 inch macbook pro has the same graphics as the macbook airs (both models).
    The graphics card is probably capable of running a game like Oblivion (2006 game). It's integrated, don't expect much from it.

The only other part where the 13" beats it's air counterpart is in the processor, it's 2.9Ghz (max config) while the air is 2.0 Ghz.

No, the 13" pro is not quad core, so yes, the only difference in processor between this and the air is about 500 mhz if you're going for the baseline model (which I'm assuming you are, otherwise you would go for the 15").

Now, the only clear advantage the 13" Pro has over the air is that it has a bigger HDD capacity, but it's not solid state, and it will cost you big if you want to have solid state (to the point where it's better off going with the baseline retina macbook model).

Bottom line:

13" Pro specs are a lot closer to the macbook air than the 15" pro. It will perform slightly better than the 13" air where CPU is required more than graphics (such as starcraft) but in games where graphics are very important, they will be almost identical (both have Intel HD 4000 and same theoretical max ram which means identical amounts partitioned to iGPU)

If you want to play games, go 15". If you don't, I would suggest 13" air over 13" pro unless you really care about your HDD space (so much that your willing to sacrifice the added speed of the SSD on the air).

6. dona83 macrumors regular

But with a 13" MacBook Pro, you can throw in a standard 2.5" SSD in anytime. You can with the 13" MacBook Air as well but those things are more expensive.

7. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

Do you guys think, the new rMBP 13" will be Quad core ? i am not big fan of games....so i m bit confused...between 13"air/13" mbp ( OR sud i wait for 13"rMBP) / 15" rMBP

i need speed , 256gb SSD is more then good inff for me, as i use external drives.
    i really like 13" size, but quad core would be +.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

No one really knows when and if a 13in rmbp will come out... If you want a 13in macbook, go with the air. Otherwise go with the 15in mbp. The 13in mbp doesn't offer anything special for you especially if youre ok using external drives

9. Panini macrumors regular

I am very doubtful a 13" retina model will be released.

A lot of people are complaining about performance issues on the current quad-core, overclocked, retina MBP running at native res (can't play diablo on 2880).

To quote myself from another post (a retina 13" would be 2560x1600):
    If you want to see a 13", you will have to sacrifice one of two things:

1. Lots of time spent waiting for it
    2. Graphics performance. There is no way to fit both a graphics card AND a quad core processor with technology available in the next few months

If I were you, and have even the slightest thoughts about gaming, get the 15". The 13" is meant for people who don't even know what lag is, for people that browse a lot AND use the computer as their primary storage device.

IF you decide to go for the 13" pro, get the 13" Air. I've thought about it, and the 13" Air is actually pretty good considering its turbo boost can bring it up to 3.2GHz (you won't be able to run modern games, so you might as well run old games which allow for turbo boost). If you don't need storage, Air > 13" Pro.