Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I have a late 2007 2.4ghz iMac and a 2008 Unibody Macbook which is also 2.4ghz.

I would like to replace them both. I am looking at the retina Pros, and have narrowed the choices between the high end 13 and low end 15. Screen wise isn't a problem as I have a 21" LG monitor I can hook it up to. This way I can consolidate everything into just one computer.

In your opinion, is the extra money for the basic 15 worth it?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
It depends on what software you plan to run. Main differences are dual core vs. quad core and imbedded graphics vs. added graphics. If you run applications that can take advantage of the quad core or use the higher end graphics, then it's worth it. Gaming, photo work, video, all will improve.

bonbmdxman

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
It also depends on the difference in price. I first purchased a 15" rmbp because it was only $200 more for the base than the high end 13". After the price drop, I returned my 15", got the 13" and saved close to $600. That difference is not worth the upgrade (depending on your uses). I'm not heavy into graphics so the decision was easy. I'm completely satisfied with my new 13" rmbp!

stead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I often use Windows on Fusion as there is a software package I need to use that is Windows only.

I assume the Quad core of the 15" will particularly lend itself to that?

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
I often use Windows on Fusion as there is a software package I need to use that is Windows only.

I assume the Quad core of the 15" will particularly lend itself to that?

It exactly will! I own a 15 inch retina and I believe that the added cores will be more conducive to your use of virtual machines. No matter what model you get, I employee you to max out the ram because as you know, once you buy it, you're done. My Retina can handle anything I throw at it, such as emulating wii games while I browse the web and listen to iTunes, or have 3 or 4 adobe apps running. Go 15 inch. You certainly won't be disappointed. It's the best machine I have ever used.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

I would like to replace them both. I am looking at the retina Pros, and have narrowed the choices between the high end 13 and low end 15. Screen wise isn't a problem as I have a 21" LG monitor I can hook it up to. This way I can consolidate everything into just one computer.

If I understand you correctly, you're replacing 2 computers with a single new laptop?

Because I like the idea of being able to upgrade the RAM and drive myself, get the 13" cMBP. The 15" is a good machine for graphics or video but it's too much to pay for everyday usage. The 2.5 comes in at $1200 before tax. You can spend another $300 later on to bump the RAM to 16GB and drop in nice 256GB SSD -- some of this cost will be mitigated by selling your '07 and '08.

Bigcase

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
MidWest
I had both, and now just have the 15 rmbp. In comparing the two, it really comes down to the graphic intense stuff you will be doing. I love the size of the 13", and I loved the machine for casual to almost medium level gaming because the 4000 graphics card is very decent. The screen is amazing as well. And for everyday stuff ie... surfing ect., it is great. But thats about where it stops. I create tech videos on youtube,(techsbookjunkie) and sometimes i want 2 videos running on the screen at the same time, one on me, and then the other on green screen or whatever. The 13 inch can't handle it. To me that's not to much to ask, but it makes both videos studder, very badly. At first I was like well I can do most editing on the 13" and then transfer to the 15", but this got old quick. Most of my editing is done on the couch, and the size is perfect. The 15" on the otherhand is a beast, I did get the 16gb of ram, but my goodness, I could probabally have 4 videos going at the same time, no joke. The combo of the quad processor, 16gb ram, and the 650 graphics make this machine very powerful. It is big, and it is heavy! Those are the down sides. Honestly, as soon as the Haswell comes on the 13" rmbp this summer, it will be bought Day 1! Great machine, just needs a little more power under the hood, and with Haswell hopefully going to almost double the graphics, the 13" will then be the perfect machine. Hope this helps. In other words if you can wait for Haswell, I think you should, but if not, and doing anything graphically intense, somewhat, go with the 15" max out ram.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly I'd recommend the cmbp over the retina, max out the mbp in ram and change the hd, you'll have it longer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.