Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I’m going to be replacing my ancient 15” MBP soon, but I’m having difficulty choosing what to get as a replacement. I’ve narrowed it down to the base 13” MBP or the 6-core 15”, both with 1TB ssd and 16gb ram.

I use it mainly for research and word processing, but my work flow is such that I often have many Word docs, pdfs, browser windows, and a database program open at the same time. I also do a lot of videoconferencing / streaming.

A lot of the time I’ll have it hooked up to my 24” external monitor (1080p currently, upgrading to 4K when they come down in price). But I’m concerned that the 13” screen will feel cramped and small when I’m working on the go. Does anyone have experience going from a 15” to 13” screen?

On the other hand, the 13” is half a kilo lighter and about $800 CAD less expensive.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I've used a 15 inch MBP for the past 7 or 8 years. On the go, plugging into external monitors etc. Went for a 13 inch because of the significant bump in power they received over the last year (Which still is more than my previous 2013 15 inch in power) Can't say I miss the larger screen. There's no question that it will certainly take some getting used to, but I've actually learned to love it. Especially If you're traveling at all, that's where you'll see the real convenience (planes, cars etc)

Unless you need the dedicated graphics, I would recommend going with the 13. All comes down to personal preference. Good luck !

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I used my sister’s 2018 MBA when visiting her, and it is remarkably light and speedy, and light enough to just throw in a bag or use on your lap. The screen felt a bit cramped, and it felt almost too small on my lap (I’m a big tall guy), but that might just be a matter of getting used to it.

Siamchaim

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
London
Depends how you use it, if you do most of your work on the macbook, then it will have to be 15". I used a 13" windows laptop, I can just about get work done on it, it's not great but doable. I do most of my work on my PC and the laptop is just supplementary so I don't need a big screen.

the 15" macbook is a lot bigger than the 13" and is a lot more cumbersome to lug around.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Depends how you use it, if you do most of your work on the macbook, then it will have to be 15". I used a 13" windows laptop, I can just about get work done on it, it's not great but doable. I do most of my work on my PC and the laptop is just supplementary so I don't need a big screen.

the 15" macbook is a lot bigger than the 13" and is a lot more cumbersome to lug around.
13” all the way unless the 15” offers something that you absolutely cannot do without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.