13'' vs 15'' MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarkAzure, Jan 24, 2010.

1. DarkAzure macrumors newbie

I am in the market for an apple laptop, it will be my first mac!

I am going to be using it for the usual web surfing, youtube, e-mail, and music editing.

I have read a lot of topics on this, and my debate is wether or not I need the extra screen reality of the 15 inch, or if the 13 inch will suffice? I also read somewhere that the difference between the 13inch and 15 inch screens is like 15 million colors, is that true? Also if you suggest the 13 inch, can it be just a macbook, why or why not?

Also are there any MMO's that can be played on a macbook/pro?

Are there any books I should pick up for switching to a mac?(Mac's for dummies?)

Thanks in advance!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait until Wednesday, the specs might change.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Seeing GGJ pointing someone to a mroogle search is like seeing the sun come up :D.

OP, David Pogues's Missing Manual series is wonderful - he covers technical stuff without talking down to the user, it's very readable, and always with a great sense of humor. Highly recommended book!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Seeing people fail to search before posting, as Forum Rules require, is like seeing the sun come up.

5. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I doubt someone just joining is reading the forum rules.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They should, since that's recommended when you first register. And it's also why I gave them links to threads with answers to their question and also gave them a link and information about how to search in the future.

7. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I bet if your sig wasn't upside down, we'd see a huge drop in these posts where people can't just search for themselves :cool:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My sig isn't upside down. The rest of the forum is! :D

9. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

¡pǝuɯɐp ǝq ll,ı llǝʍ

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

¿uɐǝɯ ı ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

If I had a tablet, it'd be much easier to flip my screen around and read that easily... unless the accelerometer kicked in... well then I'd be caught in an endless cycle of rotating it.

12. jbl macrumors newbie

In a nutshell:

the 15" is also larger, consider this before buying: do you want to carry your laptop around everywhere?

Books to switch to mac?
    Easy (but so friggen vague) answer:

If you're under 18yo: Hell, no. you're born with a computer in your hands.
    between 20 and 35yo: depending on how confortable you are with computers, a few google researches might help you on basic tasks when you start.
    If you're over 40yo and don't use computers all day like the youngsters you have two choices: search google for your questions or buy a good old book.

MMO's: if you play lots of games, think about getting windows on your macbook because there are more games on windows. However, nowdays, more and more games are compatible with both OS... The major games are.

You might want the 15" for its better graphics and screen resolution for games too. Think about that.

final word: google

13. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

The quality of the screen is equal but the resolution is different. You should wait a few days and use this forum to familiarize with 13 and 15 MBPs. MAYBE wednesday the MBPs get a refresh. BUT I DOUBT IT. In my eyes they wont update before march and for the 13 it will be only a minor update I believe.

14. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

1. wait until wednesday [​IMG] new stuff posibly
    2. for what you want the 13 will be fine... the 15, i feel, is more for those who are needing it for editing of any variety [​IMG]

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

It all comes down to screen size preference. The question to ask: what do you prefer?

Habitus :apple:

16. djkny macrumors 6502

Apple needs to provide a matte/anti-glare option for the 13" -- PLEASE. :eek:

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've been a 15" user since Apple has sold them. Never even would consider the 12" models because of the resolution on them. But when the 13" MBPs shipped I took a look at them and was intrigued so I bought one as my "travel" machine. 15" was getting awkward to use as coach seat spacing keeps getting more confined. I'm totally sold on the 13" now and question whether I'll replace my 15" with another 15" when the time comes.

I don't know where you read the 13" had a smaller color gamut. It has the same video card as the entry level 15" inch. The resolution is a tad smaller, but still capable of 720p HD.

13" MB vs MBP: MBP has SD card slot and FW and alum body. I went with the MBP b/c of the FW and Alum body. White isn't professional & still have a few FW Ext. HDs. If you don't have a need for those "extras" though then save the $ and use it toward more RAM. If you have a MicroCenter around they have the MB for $799 after rebate. I think the Apple Edu is selling it for $830 w/ no rebate too.

Of course wait until Wed. to see if they update with the i5 procs.

18. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You've waited this long; wait another week.

Habitus :apple: