13" vs 15" opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by papa8706, Oct 29, 2016.

1. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Traditionally, I've always purchased a modestly equipped 13" MBP and upgraded every couple of years since the price was substantially less than the 15". I usually use my desktop for more intensive work but now it is becoming a little more dated. For the price, I want to feel like I am a little more "future-proofed" this time around.

This year I find that I wouldn't want a 13 with less than 16GB RAM which comes to $2000. Seeing the 15" at $2400 has second guessing what I should purchase. I prefer Apple due to logic pro and final cut pro but I'm usually doing fairly light work. If the price of the 13 started at $1300 it'd be a no brainer to me, but now it has me thinking.

I know I have to draw the line somewhere but I was wondering what you all think. Aside internals, does the 15" screen size make a substantial difference to you guys? Am I giving up portability and comfort of lap/bed usage? For $400 should I consider getting the 15 or is the 13 more than sufficient?

Sorry for rambling, look forward to any input. Thanks

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

how heavy is you usage?

3. Fthree macrumors 6502a

the only downside of the 15 (besides the price) is that it does add more substance to your bag that can make things feel not so portable. (i have a mid 2015 15.)

4. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I can't work in Logic Pro on a 13" screen. It's so frustrating. The screen is a big deal and the internals too. I don't care about the weight it's not like it's soooo heavy. For me is as portable as a 13" one

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I think the BTO on the 13" with 16gb can only be purchased from apple online, correct? If so then I bet you could find a base 15" from a 3rd party vendor at a lower price. As much as I'd like to get a new MBP, the price is a bit too much for me. I know USB C is the future, but we're not there yet. If anything they should've left the SD card or 1 USB A port on board. Killing off all of them and not including an adapter is just an insult to the customers.

6. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My usage is pretty manageable with the exception of occasional larger projects on logic and final cut. I thought for $2000+ I would like the comfort of feeling like it was future proofed a bit where If I wanted to do something more intensive it could handle it. But typically it wouldn't be an everyday thing. Don't want to feel underpowered with the 13 but don't want to spend the 400 if its overkill :confused:

7. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

To be honest the biggest difference will be the jump from a dual core to a quad core processor, the integrated graphics of a high spec 13 in (iris 550) are actually comparable to the dedicated graphics of the 15 in base (radeon pro 450) (all of that is based on some guesswork, but my research indicates that the Radeon Pro 450 is pretty much equal to the R9 M370X that was in the old 15in (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-M370X-vs-Intel-Iris-550-Mobile-Skylake/m30774vsm129148) I do not know the benchmarks for the comapring the processors. so take that info as you will

8. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I am the type that loves every new MacBook that comes out and finds an excuse to upgrade. My mid 2015 is NOT old by any means and i could lie to myself and say i need the touch bar BUT i love my 2015 15 (---It is as upgraded as it could get). I told my wife who has little patience when i tell her about new apple stuff that i really feel that i could use this MacBook for 5 more years. (of course that is a rough estimate)

I think that if you get the 15 you will be happy honestly, IMO all the macs that apple makes are amazing and can last as long as you care for them for a long time. Like i said above you DO lose portability with the 15 BUT you will enjoy the larger screen. ---If you don't like it you have 14 days to return and make the perfect purchase.