13" vs 15" rMBP (current models)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SWD, Mar 18, 2015.

1. SWD macrumors member

Time has come to replace our downstairs laptop (2010 MBP). That machine will go to work to replace a 2007 black Macbook, which is on it's last leg. At first, going 13" seemed like a no brainer, we've seen older 15" models and they seemed too big. However once while walking in a Best Buy recently, the newer models didn't seem to have as big of a footprint.

These new updates make the decision of 13" vs 15" MBPr more difficult.

13" has newer processor, 15" does not, but it is a quad core i7. Processor means little to us. At most light video editing of iPhone footage may happen on occasion.

13" now has 8gb of faster ram, but 15" comes with 16gb. We have 8gb in our 2010 and it seems enough, though my wife leaves every app/tab open and we use fast user switching.

13" has better battery life, but that means little since it's primarily a home machine.

256gb should be enough storage. Most media is stored on a drobo, hooked up to an iMac.

So comparing the $1500 13" MBPr vs the $2000 15", the main differences are the processors, screen size (I would like more), faster RAM,and the intel iris 6100 vs iris pro graphics. I'm not a gamer, but I would enjoy picking up SimCity again or the new Skylines game.

Thoughts on the new 13" vs now older 15" MBPr would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

15 inch still more powerful

The CPU is far better and the GPU is still better in the 15. If you want bigger screen, some graphics for gaming and aren't worried about storage then a refurb 15 inch would be your best bang for buck.

There are none in the US store at the moment but that changes daily. Also Best buy do some good deals and some savers coupons. You can usually get a 15 inch down to around $1600 for a base model then it's a no brainer...

3. lavrishevo, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah. It's the I7 quad core that makes the big difference. The average user then the dual core will be fine. My early 2011 I7 2.2 quad core with an nice SSD scores much higher then top of the line 13" dual core I7. The difference between the two can be pretty significant. Top of the line 15" takes 2 min to render the process. 13" takes 19 min to render.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

15" sounds like the better buy for you.

The new models will come out this year, so make sure you get it at a price you're happy with.

But I love mine and it's a great computer.

5. Vilacr macrumors regular

Bestbuy has the 15"(base model) on sale for $1799 right now. I just went through this dilemma and chose the 15".

6. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! We would get the educators discount anyways (making it $1900) but something to think about. Was really looking to have the funds ready next month, but could probably make it happen.

I'm just gonna go find a cash machine...

7. bgro macrumors 6502a

Just bought the 15" at Best Buy after really comparing the 2015 13" vs the 2014 15". In the end the price of the 15" was just about the same (1799 less 10% at Best Buy) and it ended up being an easy decision. Go for the 15" at the Best Buy price (pick up a mover's coupon at your local post office). Thing is a beast.

8. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Got the go ahead from the wife. I'm still concerned about the size, but I suppose I could always return it if it is too big.

It is probably a bit much more computer than we really need, but it's the only 15" option, and the iris pro graphics are probably more sufficient for minor gaming. I imagine it will last us quite a while. The 2010 MBP and iMac we have are starting to choke and the 2007 mb is on its last leg.

9. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Well unfortunately my rehearsal went later than I expected, so I did not make it to my apple store appointment in time to get a replacement iPhone 6(wifi issues).

However I did make it to best buy 10 minutes before they closed. I knew I didn't have much time to decide, so I just got the 15" knowing I have 2 weeks to take it back.

[​IMG]

Our 2010 MBP is in the middle. Wife says the new 13" seems to small.

I started the migration process, but I did not have an updated time machine backup, and it was taking a bit too long so I'm doing mac to Mac. But of course this will take almost a full day over wifi, even with the old MBP hard wired in and the other on ac wifi. I did a complete migration, but I wonder if that was too much. Maybe some things should have been left out.