Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which rMBP?

• 15 Inch

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • 13 Inch

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Hello,

I'm going to get a rMBP soon and I have two options:

• 2.3Ghz 15" with 750M, 512GB SSD
  • 2.4Ghz 13" with Iris and 256GB SSD

So, the high-end 15 inch with no processor upgrade, or the mid-tier 13 inch with no upgrade.

My needs are listed below:

• Light-medium 3D animation (3Ds Max, Maya)
  • Light-medium photo editing (Photoshop)
  • Light-medium video editing (Premiere later, but iMovie at first)
  • Light-medium programming (C++, Javascript)
  • Medium-heavy word processing (Note taking in class)
  • Medium-heavy Windows use (For accounting software that is only on Windows)
  • Light-medium gaming (I would love to game, the only reason I don't do it is because I can't on my current machine. I mainly play indie titles, I'm not always into the newer stuff, but games like Bioshock and Saints Row, etc.)

Thank you :)

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
How's your budget?
Is portability of importance to you?
Is the size of the screen important to you?

13 or 15 is fine, I prefer both sizes. I'll be taking it to school almost everyday, so yes, but I don't mind carrying either, both are light. And budget is up to $2500, but I'd rather spend less if it fits my needs.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
13 or 15 is fine, I prefer both sizes. I'll be taking it to school almost everyday, so yes, but I don't mind carrying either, both are light. And budget is up to $2500, but I'd rather spend less if it fits my needs.

Lol, that doesn't help. If I'm honest, I like the 13 inch because it's really compact. But I like the 15 inch because it's powerful.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Lol, that doesn't help. If I'm honest, I like the 13 inch because it's really compact. But I like the 15 inch because it's powerful.

Well it's all about power vs. portability. But the 13-inch would definitely be powerful enough for you.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Well it's all about power vs. portability. But the 13-inch would definitely be powerful enough for you.

I do have a plan to build a custom PC with Skylake or Broadwell if it looks good. I will go all out on that, so it should be able to handle my gaming needs. And I got a PS3 for the time being.

The 13-inch wouldn't have a problem with 3D animation? I don't wanna put down $1500 on a machine that'll have trouble later on.

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
I do have a plan to build a custom PC with Skylake or Broadwell if it looks good. I will go all out on that, so it should be able to handle my gaming needs. And I got a PS3 for the time being.

The 13-inch wouldn't have a problem with 3D animation? I don't wanna put down $1500 on a machine that'll have trouble later on.

My recommendation would be 15" especially if you can afford it.

You'll love the extra screen size, plus 15" is extremely powerful.

No brainer if you can afford the extra money, as the upgrade to 15" is worth it.

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
Initially I couldn't decide without using them, so I bought both. After two weeks of experience, for both work and personal, I chose the 15". The larger screen suits my needs the best.

My upgrade choice is to buy a new one every two years or so, after approx ten models, this one has been one of the best Macs I've owned.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
If you want to spend less, why not a refurb of Ivy Bridge which is more than sufficient for your needs/usage.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 with Retina Display: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...z-dual-core-intel-core-i7-with-retina-display

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.