13 vs 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cramazing, Nov 1, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

so im debating between these two config laptops and I really dont know which way to go.

The reason of my choosing is value here.
    I feel like for the money i will put in for the 13", for a little more I can get the 15" and all the extras in it.

13" will be 2.6 i5, 16gb, 512 - $1999
    15" will be 2.3 i7, 16gb, 512 +750 and more real estate -$2599

I rarely take my laptop out of the house, but do carry it will me when i travel or work offsite.

so the question is, if i am spending $2k on a laptop, wouldnt it make more sense in terms of value to just get the 15" model?

first world problems..... i know.:confused:

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I prefer and recommend the 15" but that's me.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Sounds like the 15" would be better for you if you're not going be travelling with it. But I prefer the 13" for its portability as I do travel a bunch.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

From the standpoint of what you get per dollar spent, it's definitely in favor of the 15" when you compare it to the 13"...

2 additional cores/4 additional threads
    2880x1800 screen (26% more pixels)
    Significantly better GPU

The 13" only wins in portability and battery life.

That said, I'm going to be getting a 13" because I like the form factor better as a laptop that I'll be carrying around and using in my lap. I know I could get more by buying the 15", but it's just too big for how I'm going to use it.

5. doubleaa macrumors regular

I originally purchased a 13" i7 2.8/16/512 and returned for the 15" i7 2.3/16/512. Buying with the educational discount it was only $360 inc tax to make the jump. I do prefer the form factor of the 13" but considering I primarily use my MBP from home, often hooked to an external display, I decided to go for power over portability.

The 13" easily met my needs for power today but I like to get 5+ years out of a MBP before upgrading and I felt having the quad core and dGPU future proofs a little more.

6. rMBP2013 macrumors member

It's not a "little" more. The cost is over 30% more going from 13" to 15". But for the cost, you are getting a heck of a lot more value as well. The 15" is going to be fast-azz.

As you said, if you're going to be home mostly then it is always good to go for as much as you can afford.

7. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess the real question is, if $600 is worth to have the 750M, Quad Core i7, and 2in more real estate, but less portable, 1 hour less battery life...

:confused:

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's only a question you can answer. I'll take the 13" every time.

9. ecrispy macrumors regular

I would've liked the same CPU in both 13 and 15. Without the dGpu, the 15 is much faster and it really shouldn't be since the 13 has to push less pixels too.

Right now you sacrifice a lot of power and headroom to go 13, and it's not fair.

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You want a quad core in a 13" rMBP? The battery life would be really bad compared to what they have now.

11. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Easy answer: can you afford $600 extra? If so, go for it!

It's worth it.

I went for 13" as i need portability. If i wanted a desktop replacement, I'd get a desktop.

12. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

yea the $600 isn't an issue at all

13. rMBP2013 macrumors member

There you go then.

If you are looking for "value" as you stated in your initial post, then by all means go for the top-end model.

My cousin went for the top-end model 5 years ago and it is still running strong.

So yours will last a really long time as well, and you will be more "future-proof" if you go that route.

If i had that much of a budget, I'd max it out and get more value for my money.

Hope my post helped answer your question.

14. ecrispy macrumors regular

You may well be right but I'm not sure, Intel has lots of features like core parking to minimize usage and esp Haswell is very optimized for low power. I would be happy to compromise another 30min of battery life for a faster CPU.

The main power draw comes from the screen.

15. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

The main deciding factor is the form factor. Indeed the 15'' gets you more value for your bucks, but some people (like me) cannot deal with its size. For me 13'' is the way to go, and if I could I would even reduce it to 12'' : )

16. Hadron macrumors regular

It depends on what you need. I'm typing this on a 2010 15" cMBP, but have a 13" rMBP on the way. The rMBP will be more powerful than what I'm currently using, so that aspect doesn't concern me. My only real reservation is the screen size; I expect to be running with a scaled resolution most of the time, but it will be more cramped. However, I decided for this iteration that I'd trade that off against portability, because although the 15" rMBP is thinner and lighter than my current machine, it's actually the other 2 dimensions that I've found most awkward for carrying (and don't ask about using on a plane!). If they made a 14" then I'd be sorted ;)

Now it sounds like you are not particularly concerned about portability, and hence presumably also not about battery life, but do care about power. If that's a correct analysis, then the choice seems fairly clear.

17. JayDH macrumors 6502

I'm trying to make the same decision. I always am drawn to the 15" models, but they are next to impossible to use on a plane. The new 13" is the perfect size for traveling and even has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA.

When working with a bunch of files (as I often do), the 15" is very nice to have. It's just so hard to travel with (which I often do). I'm debating just going for the 15" and working on an iPad on the plane. First world problem I'm lucky to have, but a tough decision for me nonetheless!

18. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i was in the same position

15" is perfect

its not as portable but still portable on the occasions you need it

19. twingo macrumors regular

I did work with a 17 in a plane, so 15 should be okay.

20. theromz macrumors regular

If I was in your position I would go with the 15", since you don't tend to take your laptop out much and the added power will help you in the future. I personally went for the 13" since I personally cant justify the price difference but if money wasn't an issue I would go for the 15" every time.

Heck its only 2kg so its not too much of a problem to carry around too, battery life isn't a huge difference, they will both last you a day on light use.

21. corpexec macrumors newbie

I have both and rarely use the 13... always feels like something's missing.

22. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

why would you buy a 13 and 15 rmbp?

as your 2nd, why not like an 11 mba or something,

just wondering

23. nathairtras macrumors member

In my opinion:

If you plan on buying an iMac or Mac Pro any time soon and you like the smaller size - 13". If you don't care about the screen, consider an Air.

If you need or want to be portable more than you need the speed - 13".

If you rarely move it, and you want the best machine for your money - 15".

I got the maxed 13" as I really want the smaller screen, but in a couple of years I may miss that quad core... At the moment, I love it. :D

24. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Why not? Maybe they had a 13" and then when they decided to upgrade they got a 15". I had a 12" years ago, but upgraded to a 15".

25. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

update*******

I just ordered the 15in.
    Took me 10 days playing with the 13" to feel like it was too small for me and the screen was annoying when trying to multitask

im going to enjoy this laptop and hopefully have no regret down the line! :D

:apple: