13" w/ 24" LED or 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisN, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I just don't know what to buy. I don't know if I want to get the higher end 13" with the LED or the mid range 15" MBP or should I get the base 15" with an external. I can't get the 1999 MBP and an led because together the cost would be too great. I'm fully aware of refurbs and could get a refurb LED but I wanna get the laptop new.
    Also, if I use the educational discount with an iPod touch can I get an online rebate and take 229 off the cost of the laptop?

Thanks and hopefully someone can help me decide.

ChrisN

EDIT* I forgot to mention what I'm using it for which is for games (COD 4, MW2 when it comes out, TF2 , L4D and various steam games), safari, web browsing, word, watching some iTunes movies. I do have a 360 but some of my friends play PC.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I am a college student and I am planning on going with the 13" MacBook Pro with 24" LED Cinema Display, and that is coming from a 15" MacBook Pro with 24" LED Cinema Display. It is a great setup and works really well in college.

3. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

When SL is released in September will the 9600 really help with OpenCL because I could get the base 15" and be happy with that because I do have a 360.

ChrisN

4. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Well, I believe the majority of people are saying that having the 9600 will definitely help when Snow Leopard jumps on the scene.

I don't know how that will fare for the 13" users.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I would just go with the 15" if you want a nice minimalist setup. Plus its nice to be able to have everything in one place at the same time. All depends though the 24" displays are very nice but they are big!

ShadoW

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In my opinion, 15" with external 3rd party display for 200$. LED display is nice but you can get 4 other displays for same price.

7. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

If I were you I would get a 13.3" 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro and get the the 24" LED cinema display. Here's why:

The 13.3" MBP could handle those games and your needs easily. It's extremely portable. Not saying that 15.4" MBPs aren't, but I've own both. It IS noticeably easier on you weight wise and size wise. And you will be getting a display anyway, so you won't miss the screen size. You'd already be having an essential desktop. Get yourself a mouse and keyboard down the line and it would be an "iMac". Plus you save money. The baseline 15.4" MBP and display options would be good to have. Getting any 15.4" and a display would be good screen real estate, but for your needs I'd say not. It would be the display that would come more in handy playing games and watching movies. And for that, getting the larger laptop screen would be redundant. The money you save on the laptop could go towards the LED display (only $799 with student discount). The midrange option would be expensive still and less screen space.

The display is beautiful and perfect for what you want to do. I've seen them in person and I am on the way of being an owner of one. A 13.3" MBP and the 24" LED display is the perfect setup. You wouldn't have any regrets about not getting just the 15.4" MBP.

This is assuming student discount and LED display, tax included.
    2.53 13.3" MBP + 24" LED = $2,395.82
    2.53 15.4" MBP = $1,742.91
    2.53 15.4" MBP + 24" LED = $2,613.82
    2.66 15.4" MBP = $2,015.41
    That's only a $380.41 difference between the midrange 15.4" MBP and the higher end 13.3" MBP + 24" LED display.

Hope this helps you.