13" White Macbook Hard Drive crash disaster

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lanika, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Lanika macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a 2006 white macbook and a few days ago it shut down and refused to start up again. The best i can figure is that i got a panic kernel and it killed my HD. When i try to reset to factory conditions i get the cd in and get to select destination and nothing shows up. I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to get files off the crashed mac. I've heard of the firewire trick and am looking to find one to try. It still sounds like the drive spins and I hear clicking when it starts.

I'm a complete newb with this so I've tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks for the help i'll try anything !!

2. bperrella macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.484 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Well a dying hard drive would cause the kernel panic.. Not the other way around. It does sound like your hard drive is dead though especially because you can hear it clicking. Have you tried using a usb to sata adapter and plugging the drive into another computer?

3. Lanika thread starter macrumors newbie

no i dont know what an sata adapter is...i read that i could try using a firewire cable and plug it into another mac then restart and hold down 't' but then someone told me it wouldn't work because the laptop is Tiger and the other mac is leopard ...

im not very good with technical stuff so i dont think i could try anything that would involve cracking the comp. open and removing the harddrive ...

would the firewire cable work ? what do i need to do to try the sata adapter thing ...or should i just take it to some place like future shop :p

thanks so much for the help i really do appreciate it !!!!

4. johnnyham macrumors regular

If you hear clicking, it's a 95% chance that it's shot.

The Firewire thing you're talking about is called target disk mode. To use it, turn on the computer with the hard drive problems while holding the "T" key. You can then attach the Macbook to any other Firewire equipped computer and have it function as an external hard drive. But since it sounds like the disk has failed, this probably won't work.

You can look at the status of the disk by booting up from your original install disc, going through until it asks you where to install to, then open up Disk Utility. If your hard drive shows up, then click on it and view information about it on the bottom of the screen. The S.M.A.R.T. status will tell you if it's failed or not.

Finally, you can try using an external hard drive cable. This will allow you to hook your hard drive up to an external board and then plug it into another computer via USB. Getting the hard drive out is very simple, you can follow Apple's guide to removing it. Assuming you don't have an external adapter, you'll want to look for a "SATA to USB with 2.5" notebook drive adapter" one.

Alternatively, you could simply take the hard drive out and reinsert it. It could be that something is in the way of your SATA data connection but not the power connection. I've had this happen before.

I'd only use the SATA to USB adapter means if the Macbook reports that the drive is working, but you can't boot up for some reason. I'm going to go ahead and put all my chickens in the basket and say that it's dead though, in which case you won't be able to recover any data without some sort of hi-tech, super expensive means. Hopefully that's not the case, but if so, it should prod you to invest in an external hard drive for Time Machine backups in the future.

Anyways, I know that's a lot of information, but hopefully it'll help you recover your data if there's anything left. Losing a hard drive is almost as bad as losing a loved one sometimes.

5. Lanika thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that was very clear and detailed thank you so much !! exactly what i needed in order to understand !! I'm going to give the SATA method a try because when i did the disk utility it said that the drive was there ...i'm not very hopeful though ...

I do have a new macbook with snow leopard now ...and i was wondering about time machine and how it works ...i never want this to happen again ...i feel like i've lost some of my past because all my picture were on there ...movies and music sucks too but that can be replaced ...my pictures are the worst of all of this :(

Thank you again so much for your help !!