13" wifi weak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T-Bob, Nov 6, 2013.

1. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Just got the 2.6/16/512 and have noted that the wifi reception could be stronger. In notebook check review they claimed that on their n router they were getting weaker signal than 2 other test machines. One floor above the AP I am getting between 5 megabit and dropped signal, my 2009 thinkpad gets 20-50 in same area and never drops.

I also have a very strange experience with AC. It always connects at n unless I put it in same room with AC AP. Then it connected at 25! Should be able to connect at 500+.

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

3. T-Bob thread starter macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Ubiquiti UAP-AC with latest beta fw. The older one did report an issue with ac and macbook airs.

4. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

I don't know if AC behaves with N like N does with G, but if you use a G device on your N's 2.4GHz (distant) network, the signal would have to drop back to G protocol and speed. AC may do similarly.

Also, I've noticed... Odd... reception on my Late 2013 13" rMBP, too, but I can't tell at this point if it's a wireless card issue, a firmware issue, an OS issue, or a Safari issue at this point, since everything is so new at the moment.

5. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I can't say much about AC since I only have 3x3 N on the 4th gen Time Capsule, but for me I haven't seen anything to suggest weak wifi. Even ran Inssider on Windows and it picked up a ton of wifi in my area (most in the 2.4 band though, just 2 other 5Ghz band APs vs the dozen or more on 2.4).

6. T-Bob thread starter macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Haven't been back in OSX much in the same area, but in Windows haven't had a drop yet and it seems to average about 20mbps. Although something is still weird because about 15ft from the AP I am getting not great speeds.

7. v654321 macrumors member

I constantly stream my movies (stored on a fileserver) over wifi with VLC to watch on my rMBP.

My mid 2013 cMBP can do it easily without a single interruption (as all my other machines) but the new rMBP has hiccups every few minutes. It seems to be a problem that also originated in the July released MBA's.

I have filed a separate thread on this yesterday but not a single person responded yet. :)

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I don't know about weak, but I have noticed that it takes longer to copy data to and from my NAS compared to my iMac, MacBook Air & PC's.

I presume the performance will be tweaked with a firmware/software update.