130 gt not identified in windows 7 rc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by azama, Jun 23, 2009.

1. azama macrumors newbie

130 gt identified as 9600 gt in windows 7 rc after installing drivers from nvidia.com, i used to use drivers that windows automatically downloaded through windows update but is kinda old 177.56 vs the new drivers 186.**.
    with nvidia drivers the games crash often, especially when graphics intensive (crysis warhead, assassin's creed,..)
    need help to find out why this happens and how to update to the correct drivers.

2. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

3. DataCabbitKSW macrumors newbie

The 185.xx drivers for Windows 7 seem to be the most stable as of yet, however the 186 series of drivers for Nvidia graphics cards are the most feature rich (included 3D vision, more driver model improvments for WDDM 1.1, etc). If you can't get the Windows 7 specific driver versions to work in Windows 7, you can lose a bit of features (WDDM 1.1 memory management for one) you can use the old Windows Vista (WDDM 1.0) drivers. These tend to be very stable also.
    Also, try using Windows Update again. In the Windows Update for Windows 7, the last I checked it was giving out version 185.xx (I can't remember the step revision) as an update to what came on the disk. So you should get some good, stable drivers right out of Windows Update. If all else fails, you can also ask on the Nvidia forums (which aren't very active) or on the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5 . The folks there are usually very quick to respond.

4. track09 macrumors newbie

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Download the latest drivers from www.guru3d.com, they've always worked for me with my GT130

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Or go straight to nVidia.com. :p

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Not necessarily :rolleyes: sometimes the latest official release doesn't include support for the GPUs used on some Apple computers as I found out a while back when the drivers refused to install, however a quick trip to guru3d got me drivers that were even newer than the ones available on NVidia.com and detected my GT130 perfectly.

Sometimes the newer, as-yet-unreleased drivers available through guru3d can be a bit faster and more feature-rich than the current official release drivers.