Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Long story short, i took my PowerBook to the apple store, because i though a fan was bust, the so called 'genius' i saw, was massivly confused from the start after realizing it wasn't intel, and that it wouldn't let him plug the magsafe in, and he could work out why his RJ45 cable wouldn't fit in the modem port... Anyway i plugged it all in for him to look at, and he took it away to 'try' and open the case. He came back a little while later, and said he couldn't open it and to try a apple Reseller, but i noticed he had missed a screw out when putting them back. So i told him and he went and put one in.

I just went to plug a DVI cable in, to span onto my TV, and i found it wouldn't fit. He had put a screw into one of the screw holes either side of the DVI port, that you screw the video cable into. So i now can't fully the port.

Where do i stand? If i take it back what will they do? Kinda hoping that if i do take it back, they drop it and have to replace it with a new MBP :p

Simon

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Apple Store "geniuses" are extremely generous with their products. I say you should go in and bitch to them about not treating your precious Mac the right way. I took my iPad in many times for backlight issues and got a free Magic Mouse, Airport Express, and iPod touch.

You might walk out with some free products or hopefully a new Mac!

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Apple Store "geniuses" are extremely generous with their products. I say you should go in and bitch to them about not treating your precious Mac the right way. I took my iPad in many times for backlight issues and got a free Magic Mouse, Airport Express, and iPod touch.

Maybe I don't know how to bitch correctly but last time I had to go to the apple store, I tried to get one of the famous genius generosity treats and to no avail. The genius was very serious and firm about not being able to do anything to help me no matter how much I complained. Lol

Oh and for the OP, did you just try removing the screw? I had the same mixup once when I opened mi powerbook and although it wasn't easy I managed to get the screw out. I see no need to go make a scene at the apple store.

And PB are vintage macs, IIRC what that means is that genius bars are no longer instructed on how to fix them or even stock parts for those machines. Thats why he was clueless about it.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

WHAT! i brought in an iPod touch with a broken home button and all they said was it was "within spec"
Got the same response from 2 other geniuses.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking :p

To be fair, if he knew he couldn't fix my computer, why would he not say 'Sorry, no can do', instead of balls it up even more :p

I'm more that happy to do the repair i just wanted to see if i could get them to do it :p

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Maybe I don't know how to bitch correctly but last time I had to go to the apple store, I tried to get one of the famous genius generosity treats and to no avail. The genius was very serious and firm about not being able to do anything to help me no matter how much I complained. Lol
Remain persistent and tell them "My business relies on this system"

WHAT! i brought in an iPod touch with a broken home button and all they said was it was "within spec"

You just gotta bitch!

Yeah, thats what i'm thinking :p

To be fair, if he knew he couldn't fix my computer, why would he not say 'Sorry, no can do', instead of balls it up even more :p

I'm more that happy to do the repair i just wanted to see if i could get them to do it :p

Bitch to them until no end! They will eventually get fed up and give you free stuff!

Although I must admit that to get my iPod, I needed to call 1800MYAPPLE and bitch to them about the terrible service at the store...

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

if some guru said that to me...im thinking i would make local tv news! "apple customer throws apple employee threw glass doors" ;-)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK

They're not so generous over here in the UK...

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
I dunno, they replaced my PBG4 once with a brand new MBP after they 'repaired' my computer 4 times. :rolleyes:

How long ago was this? You live in the same Area as me!

The New Apple Store in reading isn't great :/

I've booked my self in this afternoon, and left a very angry note when i booked, so i'm expecting a new machine waiting for me when i go in :p heheh

Will keep you all updated!

Last edited:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I dunno, they replaced my PBG4 once with a brand new MBP after they 'repaired' my computer 4 times. :rolleyes:

Seriosuly? Lucky you! My Dad sent in his knackered MBP once they quoted him saying they couldn't fix it and they started showing him the new line MBPs.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Seriosuly? Lucky you! My Dad sent in his knackered MBP once they quoted him saying they couldn't fix it and they started showing him the new line MBPs.

Just came out the store. I no longer have a PowerBook but a base line MBP! Woop! Will explain tommorrow

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Just came out the store. I no longer have a PowerBook but a base line MBP! Woop! Will explain tommorrow

Congrats! Next time my PowerBook breaks down I'm going straight there instead of buying parts and fixing it myself! :D Awesome dude. What are the specs?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
How long ago was this? You live in the same Area as me!

The New Apple Store in reading isn't great :/

I've booked my self in this afternoon, and left a very angry note when i booked, so i'm expecting a new machine waiting for me when i go in :p heheh

Will keep you all updated!

Heheh. Funnily enough I was in there this morning. Why don't you like it? Better than trecking to London all the time!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Haha :D I was thinking along those lines as well...

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Right i'm back home now with my new MBP :)

I took it into the store, and they said the guy that looked at my computer shouldn't of touched it.. And Now he effectively broke it... So they got a Manager, who said that i can have any machine under 1600 quid :) but he recommended it take the Baseline MBP :) So i did. They asked me if i wanted my data moving across. THey didn't know how, so i showed them Target Disk mode and did it myself :)

So I left the store up a Brand New 15'' Baseline MBP.

Its awsome.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
That is awesome, congrats on the new acquisition :D
It does beg the question of what sort of training do the staff get if they don't know about target disk mode, it's pretty standard stuff for mac users, let alone so-called genius'!

In my town there is an authorised reseller called western and the people in their are quite clued up, when I go in we chat about all sorts of mac stuff and they seem like genuine 'fans'.

It's good that they admitted it was their fault straight away and supplied you with a new machine in replacement of what is now an old, obsolete bit of kit.
Did they let you keep your old machine too?

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Right i'm back home now with my new MBP :)

I took it into the store, and they said the guy that looked at my computer shouldn't of touched it..

Wow--Sounds like you had a pretty good day! So, you got the dual core i5? Did you get to keep the PowerBook too?

That is awesome, congrats on the new acquisition :D
It does beg the question of what sort of training do the staff get if they don't know about target disk mode, it's pretty standard stuff for mac users, let alone so-called genius'!

No kidding! That has been standard for quite some time. Before FireWire, you could do it with SCSI. What the heck?

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Wow--Sounds like you had a pretty good day! So, you got the dual core i5? Did you get to keep the PowerBook too?

No kidding! That has been standard for quite some time. Before FireWire, you could do it with SCSI. What the heck?

Quad i7 :) Nah they took the powerbook but i don't mind :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.