1333 MHz RAM in 2012 Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Acronyc, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

Has anyone been running their late 2012 mini with 1333 MHz RAM and, if so, have you ran into any problems? I got a base refurb late 2012 mini and added an SSD and 8GB of 1333 MHz RAM that I had from another computer. They are matching Crucial sticks. According to Intel's page it shouldn't be a problem, but Apple only recommends 1600 MHz RAM. I put the 1333 sticks in and the mini is running fine, but I'm just curious if anyone else has done so, used the RAM for a while, and came across any problems or not. Thanks!

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

If it's working, well, it's working. Apple has recommended specs that match their BTO supply chain, so even if the architecture supports older RAM, they don't list it as a compatible option because they wouldn't use the part themselves.

For instance, my cMBP came with 4GB of 1600MHz RAM, and the web page says I can upgrade to 8GB. I upgraded to 16GB, and it works like a champ.

Apple only knows the reason they don't fully disclose the capabilities of their hardware.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It's fine. Might take a few percentage points (at best) off the top of benchmarks, but ultimately it isn't an issue.

4. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this, that's great to hear your cMBP is working well with 16GB. I'm not sure why Apple sets their specific guidelines, but the mini is working great right now so I'll just keep using it as is and will think about it in case something comes up.

Great to hear and thanks for the comment! I've noticed a nice speed boost when running multiple apps going from 4GB to 8GB, and I would surmise that 8GB of 1333 is better than 4GB of 1600. I'm not too concerned about benchmarks, just my daily workflow, so it looks like it should be fine.