1333 vs 1600 RAM

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DaREdBaRoN, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Hello all,

My old macbook bit the dust about a week ago so I couldn't hold off for an updated mini any longer. I purchased the stock i7 from best buy where I have a 30 day return window if apple does in fact release a new model in the next month, but I'm not holding my breath.

I plan on upgrading to 16 gigs of RAM and put in a SSD. My father has an extra 16 gigs lying around that he purchased for his old MBP (I think it was a 2011, not sure) that is DDR3L-1333. He offered to ship it to me since he doesn't need it.

Is there really that big of a difference between 1333 and 1600? It would have to be a HUGE difference for me to buy the 1600 from crucial when I can get some for free. Saving on the memory also means I have the funds to purchase the SSD now instead of waiting another month or so.

Any input will be much appreciated.

2. dylin, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

3. opinio macrumors 65816

I tend to agree. I have never really been able to notice the difference. RAM capacity (16 or 8 over 4), CPU (quad i7 over dual i5) and and SSD (over HDD) are the game changes for me.

4. DaREdBaRoN thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I was just a little worried that it wouldn't work at all or something.

Now I'm looking forward to everything coming in and getting this thing rebuilt