Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photo sharing service TwitPic has released its first iPhone app, saying in an interview that the company "wanted to provide a better experience for our users."

The app, which looks something like Instagram, includes a photo editor with effects, cropping and other photo editing features. It also allows users to see their friends' photos and the most popular pictures across the service.

twitpic.jpg

VentureBeat:
TwitPic is a name known to many a Twitterer. Launched in 2008, the service quickly became one of the primary ways Twitterers shared photos on the information network. That all changed about a year ago when Twitter went full steam ahead with its own photo-sharing service.

Many thought the news spelled the end for TwitPic — and rightfully so, it’s only natural to assume that an official offering would eclipse one developed externally. By some accounts, TwitPic has fallen behind, but that doesn’t mean it’s game over for the seven-person, Charleston, South Carolina company just yet.
TwitPic is available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: TwitPic Releases iPhone App

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Waaaiiit, so how is this different from using iPhoto and merely sharing with Twitter/Using theTwitter app in general? At this point, another app kind of seems redundant, unless it actually does something different from other apps?

Can someone please tell me what the advantage of TwitPic is? I'm pretty curious and am going to have to check it out.

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Waaaiiit, so how is this different from using iPhoto and merely sharing with Twitter/Using theTwitter app in general? At this point, another app kind of seems redundant, unless it actually does something different from other apps?

Can someone please tell me what the advantage of TwitPic is? I'm pretty curious and am going to have to check it out.

There isn't one.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK

I imagine it's something like this. Suppose you and your friends always used TwitPic to share photos on Twitter; you'd already have a depository of [potentially] cool photos that it would be cool to have easy access to on your iPhone.

Probably wouldn't mean much to the average Twitter user (including myself), but there is something there. I think their angle is to try and spin TwitPic's focus so it's more like Instagram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.