Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Anyone see cases yet? I am thinking about getting a Speck case for my 11". Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am careful with my stuff, and always carry it in a bag, but it seems like a good idea to have something on it to protect it when I set the bag down, or when I have it out working.

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
You beat me by 1 minute.

I'm not looking for a snap-on case, I'm looking for a slip-in case that I can leave in my backpack and take my 13" MBA out of when needed. I'm looking for an MBA-specific one however. There's tons of 13" generic ones that fit thicker laptops but don't provide a great fit for the thinner MBA. Does anyone know of any in the $30-$40 price range? I don't like neoprene but I would accept it since I'm looking for affordability. It needs to looks okay, not great, as long as it will work. Quote me if you can help.

Cheers.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
You beat me by 1 minute.

I'm not looking for a snap-on case, I'm looking for a slip-in case that I can leave in my backpack and take my 13" MBA out of when needed. I'm looking for an MBA-specific one however. There's tons of 13" generic ones that fit thicker laptops but don't provide a great fit for the thinner MBA. Does anyone know of any in the $30-$40 price range? I don't like neoprene but I would accept it since I'm looking for affordability. It needs to looks okay, not great, as long as it will work. Quote me if you can help.

Cheers.

I am looking for something that stays on the computer, but I guess I am not wedded to the idea. To be honest, I am a little torn at the moment. Anyhow, Waterfield is a company to keep an eye on for sleeves and the like.
http://sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
I am looking for something that stays on the computer, but I guess I am not wedded to the idea. To be honest, I am a little torn at the moment. Anyhow, Waterfield is a company to keep an eye on for sleeves and the like.
http://sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

Yeah, different tastes I guess. I think that if I have such a gorgeous device it's a shame to put a case on it that takes away from it too much. My iPhone case is very minimal and my iPad will be smart cover only. That's just me though.

Might want to take a look at the new Moshi cases as well. They have clear, black, and snazzy looking white colour. They fill the same purpose as the Speck case and I believe at the same price. I appreciate the link to those bags (I've looked at those ones before, actually) but unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Yeah, different tastes I guess. I think that if I have such a gorgeous device it's a shame to put a case on it that takes away from it too much. My iPhone case is very minimal and my iPad will be smart cover only. That's just me though.

Might want to take a look at the new Moshi cases as well. They have clear, black, and snazzy looking white colour. They fill the same purpose as the Speck case and I believe at the same price. I appreciate the link to those bags (I've looked at those ones before, actually) but unfortunately they're a bit out of my price range.

I had Speck on my MBP. Looked gorgeous, especially the clear ones. The MBA, though, is a different beast. It is so small, I hate to mess around with it. I am still considering a sleeve...

I'll probably get this case, but I wonder if it will fit the new model. [EDIT: Their website says it does. I ordered, and it will arrive Friday.]
http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover...=1339584729&sr=1-12&keywords=macbook+air+case

Last edited:

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
Anyone see cases yet? I am thinking about getting a Speck case for my 11". Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am careful with my stuff, and always carry it in a bag, but it seems like a good idea to have something on it to protect it when I set the bag down, or when I have it out working.

as you have it out working, you neeed maximum security with locks. as macbook air doesnt have the kensington key slot, why not try the maclock for macbook air? its a case with a lock so your macbook air wont get stolen.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
as you have it out working, you neeed maximum security with locks. as macbook air doesnt have the kensington key slot, why not try the maclock for macbook air? its a case with a lock so your macbook air wont get stolen.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The only way someone is going to get a hold of my Mac is if they break into my house, or tear the bag from my shoulder. I've got a small man bag. Whenever I leave the table at the coffee shop, in it goes. Whenever I get up to get a book at the library, in it goes. It is an Air, so light as a feather, and it only takes a second to close up and put away. Doing this instead of the Maclock case saves me over a hundred dollars (that's 10% of the Macbook Air cost!?) and I don't have to worry about a thing :)

By the way, I go the iPearl case. Very nice.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

The only way someone is going to get a hold of my Mac is if they break into my house, or tear the bag from my shoulder. I've got a small man bag. Whenever I leave the table at the coffee shop, in it goes. Whenever I get up to get a book at the library, in it goes. It is an Air, so light as a feather, and it only takes a second to close up and put away. Doing this instead of the Maclock case saves me over a hundred dollars (that's 10% of the Macbook Air cost!?) and I don't have to worry about a thing :)

I was looking at the iPearl case for a MBA i'm going to buy my wife, but some of the reviews said it looks cheap and makes the MBA look cheap. What do you think?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I was looking at the iPearl case for a MBA i'm going to buy my wife, but some of the reviews said it looks cheap and makes the MBA look cheap. What do you think?

It looks fine to me. Personally, I think the Speck Satin cases look and feel a bit better (I had one for my MBP), but you will also pay more than twice as much for them.

This morning, I would have recommended it unequivocally. Now, it looks like one of the feet has come off (I was wondering about the workmanship there). Speck was MUCH better quality with their feet (a small thing you don't notice until you have a crappy product).

Am I going to return it? I don't know. It actually works just fine without the rubber feet, and I like the risers on the back. I'll think about it... The fact that Speck has no cases available on Amazon yet makes it difficult to imagine what I would get to replace this, too!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
It looks fine to me. Personally, I think the Speck Satin cases look and feel a bit better, but you will also pay more than twice as much for them.

This morning, I would have recommended it unequivocally. Now, it looks like one of the feet has come off (I was wondering about the workmanship there). Speck was MUCH better quality with their feet (a small thing you don't notice until you have a crappy product).

Am I going to return it? I don't know. It actually works just fine without the rubber feet, and I like the risers on the back. I'll think about it...

Thanks for the input. I'm not so much concerned about price as I am delivery. The Speck SeeThru would have been my first choice, but Amazon does not appear to have the color that I want to get her. I figure I can get the iPearl and see how she likes it and get her something else if she doesn't. At least that way it will be protected right out of the box.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Get the STM Jacket. There is a small size for the 13" Air. And XS for the 11" Air and the iPad Jacket for, well, you know. They are perfect. Handle on the top. Detachable shoulder strap that you don't need really ever but can put on if you want. The handle is on the top end, so it is perfect for taking out of a backpack. It has a slip in area on the back for docs, and a zippered pouch on the front you could put a power cord/adapter in, as well as smaller non zippered pouch in front of that good for a cell phone.

Great for just the Air, or good for when you have no backpack and want to load it up a bit. Cost $25-30. Comes in three colors. I got the black with green zippers, stitching, and lining.

I would stay away from hard snap on shells, for heat, and dust/dirt/debris that can get trapped in there and scratch. I use BSE - bestskinsever, which is on the cheaper end for a skin and I found to be the better templated cuts. About $28.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Get the STM Jacket. There is a small size for the 13" Air. And XS for the 11" Air and the iPad Jacket for, well, you know. They are perfect. Handle on the top. Detachable shoulder strap that you don't need really ever but can put on if you want. The handle is on the top end, so it is perfect for taking out of a backpack. It has a slip in area on the back for docs, and a zippered pouch on the front you could put a power cord/adapter in, as well as smaller non zippered pouch in front of that good for a cell phone.

Great for just the Air, or good for when you have no backpack and want to load it up a bit. Cost $25-30. Comes in three colors. I got the black with green zippers, stitching, and lining.

I would stay away from hard snap on shells, for heat, and dust/dirt/debris that can get trapped in there and scratch. I use BSE - bestskinsever, which is on the cheaper end for a skin and I found to be the better templated cuts. About $28.

Thanks. But, I've had good luck with hard cases in the past.

No sleeves, jackets, skins, or other similar products will protect my computer for 99% of the time -- when it is out of the bag, on a table or other surface, being used. All it takes is one mistake taking it out of the bag, hitting the corner of a table, or having some fool bump into your computer in a classroom for it to get a ding or a scratch. The hard cases work, and I have gone years without producing a single scratch on any of my Apple products.

As for heat, I have done lots and lots of testing. Under normal conditions, there is no appreciable difference. I think if you play Diablo III, while watching YouTube, and compiling code then you will pushe the computer, and you'll need all of the heat dissipation you can get. But, otherwise, it is a non-issue.

I am still unsure about what to purchase, and may stick with iPearl. Even without the feet (truly crappy quality here), it works just fine.

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012

Judging from youtube videos, i think that the iPearl case looks kinda cheap. the moshi case looks better.

----------

what about the moshi case? have you considered that too?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Judging from youtube videos, i think that the iPearl case looks kinda cheap. the moshi case looks better.

It does look nice, but not for the price and lack of color options... I went with the iPearl for now just so she can have out of the box protection and will let her decide if she wants something else. Ideally I would have gone with the Speck, but the color I think she would have like was not available on Amazon.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The Moshi case looks great, and I have had good experiences with Moshi in the past, but 60 dollars? I'll think about it.

As for BookBook, I don't get it. Why do people want to buy a bulky case that looks like an old book and traps heat in order to cover what is arguably the most beautifully designed piece of tech ever. It is unimaginable to me, but thanks for the suggestion!

At the moment, I think I'll stick with iPearl, even though the rubber feet have already fallen off. I will think about Moshi, though, because it is beautiful :)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The Moshi case looks great, and I have had good experiences with Moshi in the past, but 60 dollars? I'll think about it.

As for BookBook, I don't get it. Why do people want to buy a bulky case that looks like an old book and traps heat in order to cover what is arguably the most beautifully designed piece of tech ever. It is unimaginable to me, but thanks for the suggestion!

At the moment, I think I'll stick with iPearl, even though the rubber feet have already fallen off. I will think about Moshi, though, because it is beautiful :)

Having not seen the iPearl in person yet... The rubber feet, can they be glued back on or something?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Yes, they could be glued back on, but there is no hope of them staying. Really poor design. But, otherwise it is fine, and without the feet it works the same as far as I can tell. So, my choice is: stick with the 20 dollar case without feet or buy the 60 dollar one that looks great and is of higher quality.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've tried a Speck case before and it not only retains heat on my MBP, it also adds weight and bulk in my bag. Try this http://www.colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve. If you're worried about your MBA getting stolen, this will do the work I think.

I can't speak for the OP, but the reason I am looking at a hard/shell case is because my wife uses her laptop around the house only. So I would like something that is on during use to prevent dings and scrapes that could occur when using it, transporting it room to room, etc. A sleeve case just isn't practical for her. We'll definitely have one when we take the air on the 3-4 trips we make a year, but not useful for every day home use.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I got this today. See post above. Really really happy with.
The handle position makes it perfect for backpacks or on it's own.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I guess it boils down to personal preferences. Just curious, how does you or your wife use the MBA at home for it to be prone to dings and scrapes? I would be more concerned of device theft. I've read somewhere of a story where a house was sacked by thieves of all their electronics, except for their Macbook inside a ColcaSac that's basically sitting on the bed. It was left untouched because it wasn't obvious that there's an expensive device inside.

Well, she does not have an Air yet (it arrives tomorrow). She uses her current laptop (a old dell hand me down) in bed, on the couch, etc. We also have a 2 year old that isn't always conscious on his surroundings, but not destructive (has his own iPad 1 and it's held up well).

As for theft, we do what we can to prevent something like that, but if it happens it happens and to be honest I am not really concerned about what is taken, just the welfare of my family. The ColcaSac is a nice sleeve and if I were getting an Air myself it would probably be on my short list of sleeves, but lets be real... It's pure dumb luck they didn't get the laptop in that story (assuming it's true).

I let the first post slide as brand enthusiasm, but at this point you are starting to sound like a ColcaSac shill.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
OP here. As stated above, I don't want a sleeve, because my MBA spends 99% of its time outside of a bag or sleeve being used.

I have nothing against sleeves, and have used them in the past myself, but I guess I don't really see the point anymore. I want to protect against scratches, dings, and so forth. These are pretty unlikely to occur inside my bag. They are quite likely outside of it. I have used hard cases with great success on past Apple products, and have been able to sell my stuff a year or more later in mint condition. So, thank you for the sleeve advice, but I think I will go with hard cases :)

As for theft, the sleeve does nothing whatsoever to discourage or prevent theft, unless you are prone to attacks by thieves who have an aversion to bags. I have homeowner's insurance for that kind of stuff. I am concerned here about protecting the device when I am using it. My MBA doesn't spend a whole lot of time at home without me anyhow.

So far, the Moshi case is looking the classiest to me, but it is a whole lot of money to be spending on a case. I like the iPearl that I have (1/3 the price), but I am not impressed with the design. It lost its feet and works fine, so I might stay with it. I am on the fence...

GBlansten

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Thick Ascending Limb
I could easily see someone starting a thread about this topic because many people have never been on a web forum before and don't know about the search function.

Once you learn about the search function though so much great information is readily available.

Jonesy135

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Bedfordshire, UK
You beat me by 1 minute.

Cheers.

Dunno if it is too late but I'd suggest a joli originals leather sleeve, pricey though...

I've never used one but I havent seen anything other than first rate reviews for it, and I'll be getting One for my air later this year...

I'll order it from A&E though cause I'll probably have a heart attack at the price lol (about £80 delivered to the uk) but to spend over 1000 on a laptop and not do your best to protect it is madness!!

Google " Jolie originals" and there is a thread on here about them too I think

Peace

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Any links to the 13 inch version of the iPearl? I've seen a few and can't figure out the right one.

I'd like to buy it on Amazon but anything will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.