Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you wait longer than the July release of Mountain Lion to purchase a new iMac.

• No. If the new iMac is not out by then, i will buy the 2011 iMac.

Votes: 67 30.7%
  • Yes...I will wait till after July if needed to buy a new 2012 iMac

Votes: 151 69.3%

• Total voters

cypress822

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
***POLL***
Will you wait longer than the July release of Mountain Lion to purchase a new iMac?

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Waiting and will evaluate when the new specs are known.

If I needed a new computer right now I'd buy a 2011 and live with it.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I will wait into '13 if need be. I am curious about the new MP as well. My current iMac is getting long in tooth but still runs fine. Worst case, I can live with the new retina MBP.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I'll wait until the world ENDS this year. (Although recent findings have shown that the Mayan calendar has been extended to millions of years before life on earth is eradicated)

On a serious note, I will only wait until the release of Mountain Lion, otherwise I will purchase a Retina MBP.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I will wait if there are reliable rumours that a release is imminent after July.

However if there is no more promising news between now and the end of July I may be forced to make a purchase of some kind, probably 2011 iMac.

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Poll needs 3rd option...

I can't pick either of the available options, there needs to be a 3rd:

No. If the new iMac is not out by then, I will buy a PC from another manufacturer--Apple's not getting my money if they can't continue to deliver timely hardware updates.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
No, I'll wait until Mountain Lion. If the iMac won't be released, I'll buy a MacBook Pro + Cinema Display.

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
Yea, will wait for Ivy Bridge refresh. If there are large changes, I definitely want to get the new one. If there aren't large changes, then the Ivy refresh shouldn't take long anyways.

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm already looking round at what else is out there ... My machine is crapping out on me and I need something reliable ... There's no getting away from the fact that I would prefer getting an iMac, I've worked on them for the past ten fifteen years. but I have no intention of buying something that is already past its sell by date ... Technology moves so fast and the ability to replace and upgrade internal hardware is something apple have really started to fall down on ... All very pretty but not very sensible these days
I don't want a macbook pro ... I have no need of a laptop and its too small to work on and is overpriced ... A mac pro is frankly a joke lets be honest and is really out of date AND hideously overpriced
Frankly apple are loosing it and becoming a bit of a toy company as far as I;m concerned :cool:
So I think you really need to put "unless they pull their finger out I'll buy something else" in that poll

CycloneX

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Florida
I would buy a 2011 iMac now if not for the fact I will be stuck with that CPU/GPU for the life of the computer. So, I'm willing to wait until July for what I hope will be even better CPU/GPU options, USB 3.0, etc.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
***POLL***
Will you wait longer than the July release of Mountain Lion to purchase a new iMac?

No.

If there's no 2012 iMac at/around the time of Mountain Lion, and no reliable news/speculation/rumours of a 2012 iMac coming *soon* after ML, then I'm just going to go ahead and buy a 2011 iMac.

This will be my first Mac, and I'm already getting quite impatient. I don't *need* Ivy Bridge and USB 3, etc., I'd just prefer to have a newer machine for my money.

I have to set myself some sort of deadline, otherwise I'll forever be waiting. "I'll wait for Mountain Lion...I'll wait for August...I'll wait for autumn...I'll wait for 2013..."

derf36

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
I've been waiting patiently since March so will keep waiting. Every Monday night I go to bed like it is Christmas eve thinking that tomorrow may be the day. It's getting painful but I'm in for the duration.

RebornTheGame

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Qld, Australia
Yes I am going to wait and keep using my crappy HP EliteBook 8740w until the new iMac release happens.

I've been using Windows PCs since 1995, but the halo effect of my ipod, iphone and ipad convinced me in March to make the change,

I let myself be swept along by the rumors and convinced myself the update just had to happen at WWDC and so suffered the let down badly (though I suspect not as badly as those looking for a MP update).

I am so impatient to start using OSX I suspect I'll get a MBP if the iMac isn't refreshed with ML (I'll be happy with the CPU and GPU upgrades and care not a jot about retina or a redesign). But then I'll still get the iMac when it is finally released... though after all of that my credit card is going to need a fire extinguisher.

I find myself in the curious position of being a born again Mac fan who is still using Windows (albeit reluctantly).

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
***POLL***

I'll wait until then to get my FIRST iMac.
If it doesn't happen, I'll have to think very carefully whether to buy the existing one or some alternative.
What I can't is be without a computer for longer than a couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.