Samsung or Toshiba

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mattopotamus, Jun 18, 2012.

?

which one?

1. samsung

64.3%
  2. toshiba

35.7%
  1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

what SSD did yours come with.

Hardware->Serial-ATA

APPLE SSD SM###E = Samsung

APPLE SSD TS###? = Toshib

2. snapper64 macrumors regular

It might be useful if people posted the spec as well, specifically whether or not it was BTO.

3. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Toshiba here. Base 2012 MBA. Bought on store.
    Question: i've seen Samsung ones do more speed in Blackmagic Speedtest, but I've learned Toshiba drives just don't like Incompressible data and that's what Blackmagic uses. Does that mean that even though Toshiba drives perform worse in BlackMagic they will perform as good in real data transfer?

Thanks.

4. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

11" I7/8/256 bought in store and has a Samsung.

5. currahee2100 macrumors member

Toshiba uses a Sandforce controller, one of the most popular consumer grade SSD controllers. Sandforce does poorly overall with non compressible data, so output goes to 300MB/s from 500MB/s.

Bottom line: It's still fast as <expletive>

6. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

OK. What is non compressible data then? What about things one can usually write? Video files, music, programs data...

Also why does it read as fast and it just struggles with writing?

Thanks man.

7. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

8. rookpsu macrumors member

9. mecfire macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that all 128 GB drives are Toshiba and all 256 GB and higher are Samsung.

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Basically, any file that is already in a compressed format. Video and music files, JPEG photos, etc.

11. cmhawkins macrumors newbie

12. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

13. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

looks like it

14. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I hope you guys are right. I'm still waiting for my 11" ultimate to arrive. My late 2010 11" ultimate has a Toshiba drive but the max was 128GB back then.

15. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

11" 2.0 8GB 245GB

Gotta love the 6GB SATA!

It's great! I just wish XCode would download faster... I need XCode to get the rest of my development environment to work as expected.

16. hashholly macrumors 6502

What kind of speeds are you getting with the drive?

17. lls4f macrumors regular

18. Ender17 macrumors regular

can someone with toshiba drive do some benchmarks?

19. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Thanks!
    It'd be nice to know why don't they use Samsungs for the 128GB versions too.

This is what I get with the Toshiba 128GB.
    I wonder if one can really notice any difference in ordinary usage. Sure you'd notice copying a 25GB video file from one part of the disk to the other, but will you notice any difference in Video Editing, programming...

[​IMG]

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Samsung here...No issues to report, rock solid.

21. arbitrage, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Samsung 256GB in 11" Air (2.0GHz, 8GB Ram).

This is my SpeedTest

Attached Files:

22. currahee2100, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

currahee2100 macrumors member

... a few days later...

Non compressible data is exactly as it sounds- data that can't be compressed. Usually large media files, video game files, etc.

Writing is usually slower, because flash drive controller employs a special writing technique. The drive usually just writes to the next available free space on the drive and doesn't write to the space previously occupied, like normal drives do. It sounds like this shouldn't be a problem, but the drive also needs to mark the data that's going to be over ridden to be actually deleted when the drive garbage collects.

So the data isn't actually deleted, until the drive is full. When the drive is full, the garbage collect process occurs and purges the data marked for deletion.

If the controller did not do this, and just overrode the data like hard drives do, the controller would be significantly limited in its ability to put out IOPS (basically a usability issue) and it would wear physical cells on that space so cells would wear prematurely.

In my experience... well I have basically 3 generations of SSDs. I noticed the biggest boost from the Agility to the Vertex 2, which is like Going from the Toshiba to Samsung for the last gen Macbook Air. The speed difference between a Vertex 2 and Agility 3 was much less noticeable, which is like going from a Toshiba to Samsung in the current gen Macbooks. It's probably not a good idea to compare different SSD brands, especially because Samsung uses their own controller but it should give you a rough idea of the performance difference.

23. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

11.6"/8 GB/128 GB -> Toshiba SSD

but that is ok, since I am happy because I got the LG display...

...oh wait.

I think I better stop reading Macrumors now, since I just found out two bad things in a row. I was happy when I was more ignorant.

24. JBST macrumors newbie

So.. do we have a large enough sample to conclude that any SSD >256GB is likely to be Samsung.

Then... what about the screen display (LG/Samsung etc). Any indication that it may correlate with the rest of the MBA configuration? like screen or ssd size/cpu/ram etc? any ideas about pattern at all? :confused: or is it just random? :D This is getting OT isn't it :p

25. thehumorpolice, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

thehumorpolice macrumors newbie