138mb in "Other" Capacity after format?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by x Danny, Mar 6, 2009.

1. x Danny macrumors member

Hiya

I formatted my iPod Touch and then when it loads back into iTunes fresh from format and it's got 138.1mb in "other" on the capacity bar.

What is this? Surely everything got removed in the format?

If it's something to do with the o/s, why can't they put it in the 1.4gb they stole from me when I got a "16gb" model.

Any ideas?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The "Other" category is usually the iPod software unless you have the AirSharing app or something similar to turn it into a portable drive. And Apple did not cheat you of 1.4 GB of your 16 GB iPod. Hard drives that have a capacity listing of 320 GB may only have 310 or thereabouts of usable space after being formatted for use, that is due to the difference in how space is calculated by people and how the computer (yes the iPod and most portable devices are considered computers).

P.S. Better explanation: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1867

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

that 1.4 they "stole" is the os. you could get a 16 gb flash drive with all the 16 gigs but have fun with that

4. NoceD macrumors newbie

How marketers calculate gigabytes: 1gb = 1000mb
    How gigabytes are actually calculated (by machines): 1gb = 1024mb

Therefore when humans advertise that their devices hold 16gb, they follow their own formula: 16gb = 16000mb
    However, when you plug your device to the computer, the computer reads 16000/1024 = 15.6gb

Of the 15.6gb, some space is taken up to store necessary files to run the iPod. So to arrive at the number of gigs that is truly available to you to use as you please, you need to take 97.5% x 16gb (advertised capacity) - space taken up by permanent and mandatory files.

An iPod will always contain data under "Other". Restoring your iPod can only decrease the size of "Other", and cannot completely erase the data. The "Other" section contains information needed to run your iPod's OS, you can't erase that.

As you season your iPod with songs and videos and photos, the "Other" storage stores lyrics, album art, calender, contacts, notes, pre-loaded games, custom settings/configuration files, and whatever files you may have stored in your iPod if you use it as a disk drive. This part of the "Other" storage is the only thing erased from "Other" when you restore your iPod.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Actually,

1GB = 2^30bytes = 1,073,741,824bytes.

So,

16GB's = 16,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 14.90

14.9/16 ~ 7%

And so you lose about 7% of your advertised disk space whenever you format it.