Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Tim Cook announced that the App Store would be launching in 32 additional countries this month, bringing the total number of countries with App Store access to 155. As documented in the country-selection page within the iTunes Store, those 32 new markets are now available, although Apple has yet to update its support page listing which iTunes Store content is available in which countries.

cook_app_store_155_countries.jpg

The vast majority of new countries are located in Apple's African and Asian markets, with the exception of Albania and Ukraine in Europe. The full list of new App Store countries includes: Albania, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Fiji, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritania, Federated States of Micronesia, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Palau, Papua New Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Zimbabwe.

Article Link: App Store Launches in 32 New Countries

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Denmark doesn't have one yet? Wow. I wonder why it took so long to bring the App Store to these countries and how well the iPhone sold with only stock apps available.

dra

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Sydney, Australia
might be legal and tax issues for Denmark , Congo tax free :)

----------

Good to See PNG and Fiji there i know alot of companies that been waiting for that. time to make me some apps :)

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Dont understand why peope care about app store availability. U.S. store s ALWAYS available wherever ou are...just scroll to the bottom of iTunes registration page and change flag to U.s.

dra

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Dont understand why peope care about app store availability. U.S. store s ALWAYS available wherever ou are...just scroll to the bottom of iTunes registration page and change flag to U.s.

and how will external countries pay for their app purchases with a non-us card ?

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008

It has something to do with payment.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Why haven't they updated the map of Africa to include the South Sudan split from Sudan? Is this the case in Apple Maps too? :confused:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I hope they'll pay local taxes instead of just launching stores in native languages that sell in US dolar and in practice are american stores translated to other languages. It's like a brazilian person, living in Brazil, buying stuff from an Amazon site translated to portuguese. This is nothing different to contraband.

Last edited:

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
APP store NOT APPLE store...

I can see that a lot of people have misunderstood the article, they are talking about the APP store (apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod) not APPLE store (hardware and software such as Macs and MBP's) Also in some countries we have only online versions of the Apple store but no physical retail shops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.