Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage29.png

Google has updated the Gmail for iOS client, bringing a number of improvements to the app originally released this past November. The update adds Notification Center support, the ability to send mail from alternate email addresses, and the ability for users to stay logged into the app indefinitely.
Our team has been working hard to bring your most-requested features to the Gmail app for iOS.

[...]

First up, Gmail is now fully integrated with Notification Center and supports banners, alerts and lock screen options. Plus, notifications are now incredibly fast -- up to 5x faster than in the previous version.

Next, you now have the option to send mail from alternate email addresses. If you have configured alternate sender addresses in Gmail on your desktop under Settings->Accounts->Send mail as you will see a From: option when composing new messages in the app.

Lastly, we've improved the login process to allow you to stay logged into the app for as long as you'd like. You can still choose to sign out of your account, but you won't be automatically logged out after a certain period of time has elapsed.
The Gmail for iOS app is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Brings Notification Center Support to Gmail App for iOS

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Choosing the "from" for linked email accounts is awesome. Too bad you can't change this to default email client.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If it's still a glorified web app, I'll pass. As Google has shown with their Google+ app, they can do so much better than a wrapper around a website.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
If it's still a glorified web app, I'll pass. As Google has shown with their Google+ app, they can do so much better than a wrapper around a website.

I agree, Google+ is an amazingly well written iOS App.

----------

Hoping to see multi-account support in the next update!

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Does using the Gmail app for insant push notification & manually fetching mail use less battery life then using the Exchange/Gmail for instant push notification?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Wow, I've stopped waiting for this and assumed it'll never come. o_O

Thank you.

Now, the only thing missing is the ability to mark emails as not/important. It does everything else already (except ability for other apps to send email via Gmail.app instead of Apple's Mail.app).

----------

Sushi and foosball? really?
Agreed. It doesn't make sense to play foosball after eating a lot of sushi, the order should be reversed.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Have they updated their app for lion? Last time I checked it, it was bad ... Hopefully they fix it up with this recent addition to iOS

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Have they updated their app for lion? Last time I checked it, it was bad ... Hopefully they fix it up with this recent addition to iOS

I don't think they have an app for OS X [Lion]. What are you thinking of, maybe a third party app?

<yawn> Still don't care.

Gmail is terrible and their iOS app isn't any better.

I've been using Gmail since it was first introduced as an invite-only beta way back when. I love it and it's been my primary email account. Their iOS app needed some serious attention though. But now that they've finally incorporated the Notification Center, I'll try using it as my primary iOS email app for a while and see if I like it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is certainly an improvement - but I wish they'd update the app to handle multiple accounts, the way their Android app does.

If notifications matter to you, this app makes sense. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any advantage to this over just adding a icon "bookmark" on your homescreen/springboard to your Gmail using Safari.

I do think the way they handle Gmail on mobile browsers is pretty darn slick.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.