Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Office Hours

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Here's what I did:

1. Download Chrome Dev Channel, stable may also have these settings, not sure.

2. Go to chrome://flags

3. Enable GPU compositing, Enable Thread Compositing, Enable Per Tile Painting (last one may not be required but I did it.)

4. Restart Chrome.

5. Enjoy.

I have no doubt that it's a software issue. It's not perfect but has a noticeable effect and will only get better. If the iPad 3 can do it, a Ivy Bridge and dGPU can do it.

Update: Most sites work perfectly, much better than Safari. It seems that it chugs on sites that use a lot of newer CSS3 stuff (The Verge), @ native resolution it's a lot better but you can tell it's not perfect either. Performance with advance filters will improve over time I bet.

Last edited:

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Here's what I did:

3. Enable GPU compositing, Enable Thread Compositing, Enable Per Tile Painting (last one may not be required but I did it.)

4. Restart Chrome.

5. Enjoy.

I have no doubt that it's a software issue. It's not perfect but has a noticeable effect and will only get better. If the iPad 3 can do it, a Ivy Bridge and dGPU can do it.

Update: Most sites work perfectly, much better than Safari. It seems that it chugs on sites that use a lot of newer CSS3 stuff (The Verge), @ native resolution it's a lot better but you can tell it's not perfect either. Performance with advance filters will improve over time I bet.

Thanks for the update, good to hear!

How's the infamous facebook working for you?

PCWebbJR

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Here's what I did:

4. Restart Chrome.

5. Enjoy.

Can you post a video? I have a rMPB on order and I'd love to see this in action.

shthap3ns

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Oh man, thank you so much for this. I was avoiding Chrome since it was pretty choppy even with ML DP4. Super smooth now. I noticed the the per-tile setting improves the scrolling on pages with a lot of images.

Does anyone know if these settings eat up more battery life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.