Much Smoother Web Scrolling on MPR 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Office Hours, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Office Hours, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Office Hours macrumors member

Here's what I did:

1. Download Chrome Dev Channel, stable may also have these settings, not sure.

2. Go to chrome://flags

3. Enable GPU compositing, Enable Thread Compositing, Enable Per Tile Painting (last one may not be required but I did it.)

4. Restart Chrome.

5. Enjoy.

I have no doubt that it's a software issue. It's not perfect but has a noticeable effect and will only get better. If the iPad 3 can do it, a Ivy Bridge and dGPU can do it.

Update: Most sites work perfectly, much better than Safari. It seems that it chugs on sites that use a lot of newer CSS3 stuff (The Verge), @ native resolution it's a lot better but you can tell it's not perfect either. Performance with advance filters will improve over time I bet.

2. MrGando macrumors member

Was going to post this tomorrow, but you beat me :)

Cheers.

3. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Thanks for the update, good to hear!

How's the infamous facebook working for you?

4. maddogxx5 macrumors newbie

This tweak seems to have disabled two finger back gesture for me. Anyone else?

5. PCWebbJR macrumors member

Can you post a video? I have a rMPB on order and I'd love to see this in action.

6. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It seems to be an on and off thing, it'll work for me sometimes, then a second later it won't work. It's worth it, in my opinion, though.

7. shthap3ns macrumors newbie

Oh man, thank you so much for this. I was avoiding Chrome since it was pretty choppy even with ML DP4. Super smooth now. I noticed the the per-tile setting improves the scrolling on pages with a lot of images.

Does anyone know if these settings eat up more battery life?