Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2012-03-29/apple-s-war-on-android#p1

This article was excellent and written in a way that kept my attention the whole way through (no easy task).

I'd recommend anyone who wants to know about the iPhone IP battles going on read it.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I don't see why apple fans would be cheering apple on, Patent trolling stifles innovation.

For example, google voice search is now much better than Siri. If Apple were the only company allowed to have voice search functionality, they woudn't have as much incentive to make Siri better. But because Google one upped them, they sure as heck are scrambling to improve it. Apple fans should be against Apple's patent trolling.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Easy for you to say ..... your just a consumer.

Yes, and Apple's patent trolling is anti-consumer, for BOTH apple and android users. I only hope the retaliation by Samsung and Google will make Apple pay the price and they eventually enter into some agreement to end this nonsense or the patent laws get changed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Ok let's see .....

Early pre-versions of android looked like a BlackBerry OS, and after the iPhone it suddenly looked like iOS. Then manufactures started banging out nothing but similar to iPhone designs. And that's just the first couple years. When Samsung's galaxy line came out, even the icon design were basically the same. I could go on and on, like the slide to unlock all the way down to the packaging.

Now I'm not saying that Apple has a patent on everything nor do I feel some patents are fair. But given the obvious monkey see/monkey do actions from the competition, I don't blame Apple for trying to enforce it's patents. I would do the same.

Apple is not the almighty creator nor did they invent anything new. But I do give Apple much credit to be innovative enough to be unique in it's own right. Which is the very reason Apple is going after everyone, to mantain it's uniqueness.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Ok let's see .....

Early pre-versions of android looked like a BlackBerry OS, and after the iPhone it suddenly looked like iOS. Then manufactures started banging out nothing but similar to iPhone designs. And that's just the first couple years. When Samsung's galaxy line came out, even the icon design were basically the same. I could go on and on, like the slide to unlock all the way down to the packaging.

Now I'm not saying that Apple has a patent on everything nor do I feel some patents are fair. But given the obvious monkey see/monkey do actions from the competition, I don't blame Apple for trying to enforce it's patents. I would do the same.

Apple is not the almighty creator nor did they invent anything new. But I do give Apple much credit to be innovative enough to be unique in it's own right. Which is the very reason Apple is going after everyone, to mantain it's uniqueness.

You obviously didn't read the article, Apple copied the look and feel of South Korean phones (and also infringed on a Japanese Patent on that as well):

Several Asian manufacturers were noodling around with similar-looking rectangular smartphones before the iPhone came to market. Tipping its hat to a fellow Korean manufacturer, Samsung notes that in 2006, nearly a year before the iPhone appeared, LG Electronics announced the round-cornered LG Chocolate, with “virtually all of the [design] features Apple claims” to have patented. In December 2006, before Apple released images of the iPhone, Samsung itself filed a design patent in Korea for a similar rectangular phone called the F700. Smartphone and tablet-computer design was “naturally evolving” in the direction Apple claims it has exclusive rights to use, according to Samsung. If true, that matters because basic patent law states that if an idea is “obvious” to an “ordinary observer” at the time of its invention, it doesn’t deserve patent protection. By attacking Samsung, Apple has inadvertently put its own patents into play.

Turning to the concept of “obviousness,” Koh showed sympathy for Samsung’s argument that Apple’s claims of “earthshaking” innovation may be a tad exaggerated. She analyzed a Japanese patent issued to the Japanese company Sharp on June 6, 2005, well before Apple obtained its relevant patents. Foreign patents can be cited as “prior art” to undercut U.S. patents. Illustrating her opinion with sketches from U.S. Patent Office records, Koh said the Sharp patent, like Apple’s D’087, has “rounded corners, a bezel, a similarly shaped speaker, and similar proportions of screen and border.” The Sharp patent “discloses an overall simple, minimalistic design.” She added: “An ordinary observer would likely consider [Apple’s] D’087 to be substantially the same” as Sharp’s patent.

Apple fanboys should really stop making these unsubstantiated claims.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple has not been damaged by this at all. They just want to kill android because they would rather not have competition. They are wasting everyone's time here. The whole siri thing is a bunch of crap. I've had people years ago say they wish there was a program that you could talk to naturally and have perform tasks. Apple did not think of that idea. Also Google has to write all the code themselves which is the hard part. Its not as if Google went to apple copied and pasted the code and put that out. This goes for the entire os as well. Googles slide to unlock solution is nothing like apples. In fact they innovated by making perform more than just being able to unlock the phone. What apple is doing is wrong. The patents they have are so broad and they are for things that many people have thought of already. I guarantee they'll get thrown out but they are taking advantage and of how slow the legal system is. The trial isn't until 2014. The nexus will be beyond old news by then.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You obviously didn't read the article, Apple copied the look and feel of South Korean phones (and also infringed on a Japanese Patent on that as well):

Apple fanboys should really stop making these unsubstantiated claims.

The iPhone and\or iOS doesn't resemble the LG Chocolate in anyway at all. Just cause the apps are in a grid format means nothing. Only thing Apple copied was OSX to create iOS. Everything else was use of exist technology and putting it together from their own design. There's a differ between using exist tech and ideas vs just carbon copying something.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
The iPhone and\or iOS doesn't resemble the LG Chocolate in anyway at all. Just cause the apps are in a grid format means nothing. Only thing Apple copied was OSX to create iOS. Everything else was use of exist technology and putting it together from their own design. There's a differ between using exist tech and ideas vs just carbon copying something.

Except we're talking about hardware here and the iphone DOES resemble those past phones (i.e. it's APPLE who's claiming samsung ripped them off with their phones with 'rounded corners', which is patently ridiculous, no pun intended).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Except we're talking about hardware here and the iphone DOES resemble those past phones (i.e. it's APPLE who's claiming samsung ripped them off with their phones with 'rounded corners', which is patently ridiculous, no pun intended).

It's obvious everyone copied a successful design that Apple's iPhone has(whether that itself was copied or not).

But I agree everyone should be able to. The design is not that unique or one of kind. Shapes are of limits, unless it's an actual symbol. Now if the iPhone were shaped like an Apple, they would have a serious case. LOL

BTW ... Apple is fighting not just for hardware.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple needs to get off their high horse. They copied others just as much as everyone has. This is how progress is made. Everyone of these so called patents that apple has said their infringing android has made improvements upon.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
are we talking about this LG Chocolate

lg-chocolate-2.jpg

is it just me, or is that phone conceptually entirely different from an iphone?

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
are we talking about this LG Chocolate

is it just me, or is that phone conceptually entirely different from an iphone?

You got the wrong phone, this is the phone they're referencing, and yes, the iphone ripped off their design:

lg-ke850-if.jpg

MidMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Copying other company's intellectual properties slavishly is not a competition. Fandroids are trying to cover thieves.

If you forgot what made Apple mad first, here is it:

samsung_galaxy_s_ac_15.jpg

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
This is the LG Chocolate circa 2006 (not really seeing an iPhone resemblence)

LG_Chocolate.jpg

This is the LG Prada circa Dec 2006 (first announced on Dec 12, 2006, with images of the device appearing on websites on Dec 15, 2006. An official press release showing an image of the device appeared on Jan 18, 2007 and was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touchscreen. LG Prada also won the iF award in 2006 and used that as a claim that Apple stole the design of the original iPhone from there.) here are the comparison shots.

iphone-vs-ke850-wm.jpg

iphone-vs-ke850-2-wm.jpg

As for the F700, Samsung announced and showed photo's a month after the iPhone. This is a non-issue. There is video evidence showing the F700 unveiling in Feb 2007, not in 2006 as some have claimed in rumors. You can pass on this as there is no debate to be had here.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Copying other company's intellectual properties slavishly is not a competition. Fandroids are trying to cover thieves.

If you forgot what made Apple mad first, here is it:

Exactly. If there's one company that's getting what's coming to them it's Samsung. These guys really had no shame back then.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You got the wrong phone, this is the phone they're referencing, and yes, the iphone ripped off their design:

This has already been debunked by dozens of sources. The iPhone was physically shown before the Samsung F700 and LG Prada at Macworld.

Google LG Prada iPhone debunked and you'll get several different articles on the matter.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
[/COLOR]
This has already been debunked by dozens of sources. The iPhone was physically shown before the Samsung F700 and LG Prada at Macworld.

Google LG Prada iPhone debunked and you'll get several different articles on the matter.

Ok, i googled that:

Next, lets talk about the drop date of the iPhone: January 9th, 2007 at Macworld. This is where Steve Jobs initially let loose the announcement that there would be an iPhone.

Uhm, this engadget article was published in 2006 on the Prada:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/the-lg-ke850-touchable-chocolate/

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Well, in any case, it came out before the iphone and the iphone ripped off it's design.

You kidding? There's a month between them and it's a dumb fone. It's an example of parallel evolution. The galaxy on the other hand is a mirror image of a device two years old at that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.