13in MacBook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cwazytech, Sep 28, 2018.

1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

cwazytech

First time on a laptop and confused by the MacBook Pro 10 hour battery claim. I've read some reviews stating that they're not getting close to the 10 hour mark but I'm really falling well short of it. I feel like at best I may get 5 hours, maybe 4 on my MacBook primarily using iTunes and Safari. Three hours ago I closed the screen with the power still on at 31%. Opening it back up and waking the screen I'm now at 23%. Is this normal?

2. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

First week or so the battery life will be shorter. After that is should stop indexing and get better.

3. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

cwazytech

I’ve had it for a couple months now.

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

If the battery drained from 31 to 28 with the lid closed, this indicates to me that a program or service is preventing the MacBook from entering deep sleep.

5. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

cwazytech

I'm definitely dropping approx 20-30% per hour. Most of my usage comes from iTunes and Safari. Seems odd.

6. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Since moving to Mojave my battery consumption is far worse especially in sleep. I tend to lose 10% in 6 hours.

I just made some change and now it might be a loss of perhaps 6% in 6 hours, which is not as bad but still pretty poor. Way worse than Sierra.

All that aside, open Activity Monitor and you can check which apps are draining your battery. You can also determine whether those apps are preventing sleep. I would start there and see if that provides any clues.