13in MacBook Pro versus 15in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robby C, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Robby C, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Hey all,

I am going to be a freshmen in college this coming fall and it has come time for me to buy a laptop for school. Right now I'm between two MBPs, the 13inch 2.9GHz MacBook Pro and the 15inch 2.3GHz Macbook Pro. My major is still undecided but I have a feeling I will be getting involved with cinematography as I enjoy the film industry. That being said, I know I am going to need a computer that can handle larger than the average size file. Which computer will be able to do this sufficiently without lag?

I have a feeling that I will be upgrading the RAM on the 15inch to 8GB.

Thanks for any input, I've tried searching.

Additionally, how much more power does the 15inch offer over the 13 inch? I used to be extremely computer savvy but time has gotten away from me it seems and I am out of the loop.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

The main difference is the graphics card. Unless you need a larger screen or that GPU, then 13'MBP. It isn't slow, but an air will copy faster with an SSD.

3. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

That's what I assumed. Given my choice of Major, wouldn't the upgraded graphics card be beneficial to me?

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Most definitely the 15in because of its quadcore processor and dedicated graphics card.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

for what? final cut? premiere? cinematography = cuts/transitions/etc. thats hardly graphics card work.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It would be more the Quad Core processor rather than the GPU that you need.

7. Panini macrumors regular

You said large files.

The 13" can only go up to 8gb, the 15" can go up to 16gb. That alone should be enough.

The 15" also has a dedicated gpu (a must for high-performance video editing/rendering) and a quad core cpu.

If possible, go with the retina since the SSD will help you out either way. It's especially useful when you're managing/copying a lot of files on your computer and it already comes with the 1GB gpu (no need to upgrade).

8. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

That's what I was thinking, thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately the Retina really is not an option at this point. I wish SSD was an option on the non-retina models.

It seems I'm leaning toward the 15 inch, as I assumed I would. Any more input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Apple may specify that the current 13" MacBook Pro can only go up to 8GB, but it can use 16GB.

That being said, I think the 15" model would be the best bet for the OP.

10. Panini macrumors regular

That's a manual, third party upgrade not supported by Apple. If you look at it that way, the 15" can go up to 32gb.

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Any 3rd party memory you put in your laptop isn't supported by Apple. And no, you can't put 32GB into the 15" model. It maxes out at 16GB just like the 13".

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Actually, it IS an option on even 13" BTO models. Apple just charges you twice as much as everyone else.:mad:

13. semiauto macrumors member

Hi,

I, like you, am also going to be a freshman this year and I am majoring in Communications with a focus on broadcast/film. I just bought a 2.3GHz 15" 2012 cMBP (500GB HDD) earlier today. I chose this model mainly to get the quad core processor and the dual graphics (Intel HD 4000 and GeForce GT 650M). Another big plus to the 15" is the abliity to get the screen in high res anti glare ($90 extra) which will bring the resolution to 1680x1050.

In order to make up for the lack of a built in SSD, I went ahead and bought a Samsung 830 SSD (128GB). I got it on a sale for $84.99 on Newegg (I think they are back to $99.99 now). I will be taking out the optical drive and placing the hard drive there and putting the SSD in place of where the hard drive was.

Next, I will be buying new RAM (16GB's) (most likely from OWC). It is quite pricey but it is the best of the best (plus it has lifetime warranty).
    Link: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1600DDR3S16P/

Overall, I think that the 15" will serve you much better for the kind of work you will be doing. :)