13in MBP Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spank13, Dec 24, 2011.

1. spank13 macrumors newbie

My wife has a Mid-2009 MBP 13in. She has recently had some issues and I'm wondering if there is a fix. Here is the timeline.

In September, we upgraded the ram to this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083.

About three weeks ago her MBP refuses to boot. It would get stuck on the splash screen with the Apple showing it was loading. We ran disk utility and all the basic diagnostics and the disk utility was giving an error message saying the hard drive was was not accessible. We decided to just replace the hard drive since she wanted a larger one anyways and I needed to buy a Christmas present :).

Everything is running fine again for a few weeks, however, last night the MBP freezes during web browsing. She does a force restart and it came up to the splash screen with the international "no" symbol. Multiple reboots yielded the same results. She re installs OSX from the partition and it seems to be working again.

Any suggestions on what can be causing the recent issues? She didn't have any significant issues before the RAM isntall, but could RAM cause this? Thanks.

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Bad RAM can cause strange symptoms. The easiest test would be to replace the new RAM with the old and see what happens.