13in MBP with external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kidwithdimples, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I hooked up my Toshiba HDTV (19in) with my MBP via MiniDP to HDMI. I chose 1080p as my resolution but my screen becomes smaller and there's empty black spaces on both sides of the screen.

However when I choose 720p it comes in 1280x720 60Hz

I removed the "Mirror display" and chose 1280p and the screen looks awesome.

I'm not sure why my screen becomes smaller and there's empty space on both sides when I choose 1280p with the mirroring option.

Is it just my TV that sucks?

Edit: It's a 19in Toshiba 19AV600U

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502

'mirroring the display' prob causes the display output from the MBP to be the max. display of the MBP which is, 1280x800 - which is less than the resolution of 1080p.

it's the second number that matters - which is why when you set the TV to 720p, the MBP outputs 1280x720..

also, later in your post - im guessing you didnt mean '1280p' and meant '1080p'?

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. I removed the 'mirror display' and the screen went to 1080p which looked awesome. however that means it becomes an 'external' screen and i have to drag windows to the TV.

I just wanted to use the TV as my main display.

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502

well, to me this makes sense...someone else may know better..if you want to mirror the display - the device would only output its max resolution, regardless of what the resolution of the external display is..maybe i'm wrong - but in theory, that sounds logical to me.

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. StopSign24 macrumors regular

You could just go into your display settings, and when you see both the displays next to each other, you'll see that one has a white bar at the top. This is the Menu Bar, and whichever one it's on is the main display. So just move it onto your external and you'll be good to go.

7. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

But whenever I open a new application it opens on my MBP instead of the TV

8. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

bump for any more suggestions on how to fix this?

Turned my TV off, turned it back on and everything is fuzzy again =\

9. StopSign24 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

The white bar that I'm dragging around in this picture is the bar that I was talking about. Drag that to the box representing the screen that you want all of your programs to open to. In my case, my external monitor (the bigger one) has the white bar, so everything opens on that instead of my Macbook.

10. gup91 macrumors newbie

I have my 13 inch hooked up to a 40" toshiba lcd every day mirrored
    and i can hook it up 1080p and it works good with no black bars or anything but i chose 720p cuz its alot bigger text, and easier to read