13in MPB or 15in MBP fully spec'd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pseudopod, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Pseudopod macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just a noob here on the forum. I am slightly OCD about my next MBP purchase and would like some input.

I intend to do some video editing with either iMovie or FCPX for work presentations and lectures.

I love my current 13in MBP for its portability and size but hate how the new ones don't have quad core. I am dubious about the 15in because it seems a tad big and IMHO uglier.

I usually use my laptops for 5 years before I upgrade. What would your recommendations be?

TIA

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Portability vs. quad core and bigger screen. Nothing more.

Keep in mind that the 13 can still do video editing; just a bit slower. Hell, the new Haswell 13" is scoring close to my top level 21.5" 2011 iMac quad core 2.7ghz i5 in geekbench.

3. Pseudopod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I think it will have to be the 15inch. quad core is the foreseeable future. I will have to swallow my ideals and improve my carrying strength.

4. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Here's a good 15 minute video comparison of the 13" vs 15": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ocU5Y2q_0
    I also do lots of video editing, but ordered the 13" because it's plenty fast and significantly smaller and more portable which is important to me because I travel alot.

5. Pseudopod thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Kathy,

Do you use iMovie or FCPX?

Time wise are you okay with the rendering times etc.?

TIA